Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hood Badge Removal?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  miko1aj 
#1 ·
I'd like to replace the hood badge on my 560SL. What is the proper method of removal? Do I just carefully pry it up from the hood? How is it attached to the hood?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, looking up at the underside of the hood, you will see a small hole in front of the hood latch receiver. Looking up into the hole, you will see the badge's mounting pin. Just push the pin upward. The badge will lift away from the hood accordingly. You may want to check, or replace the grommet that secures the pin in place. I don't know about aftermarket, but MB badges come with new replacement grommets.

#5 ·
Speaking of badge replacement, can those with OEM badges that came with their car originally, post pics? I have seen varying types and trying to get a sense of what was original stock on my car. I've seen some that are all silver, some with blue coloring on a stamped badge, but not like the oem badges available today.

#11 ·
The grommet is pressed into the hood first and then the emblem is pressed on. You should push it out from underneath. Other methods dramatically increase the risk of damaging the hood paint or bending the surface of the emblem. The emblem is very soft aluminum IIRC and is very prone to gouging, bending or breaking if care is not taken during removal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.