Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 E320 4Matic wagon has slits (cowl?) in the hood near the windshield to allow air in (I'm guessing to the passenger cabin). Under the hood is a large air dam which channels the air where it should go. I removed that and cleaned off the dust.

Under that large air dam, bolted to the hood, is the grated screen under the hood slits. It's a filter to prevent large objects from entering the large dam. The right half (left in the picture) was covered by a plastic part which I could see was retaining debris. I used a screw driver to pry around its edges and it easily came off.

It's not supposed to come off. That plastic part was heat-welded in place. Its plastic was melted all around its edge, then it was pressed permanently to the screen.

The plastic was labeled as "PP" which I trust means polypropylene. I will try to find "plastic weld" compatible with PP to affix this piece back into place. Failing that, I'll get one from a junkyard (with its own history of embedded debris).

Is there any way to properly remove and clean this area? Or clean it without removal? I'm shocked that Mercedes made a component which can't be serviced.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,405 Posts
Compressed air.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,485 Posts
Compressed air.
^^^^^^ When I got my 2003 W210 Wagon, I took it of the hood and blasted it with compressed air followed with a strong jet of water. Took some time, but it worked.

I might try my pressure washer next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts