Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - just wondered if anyone had experience with Hong Kong import cars?

I'm thinking about a 320SL AMG and firstly I'm not too sure if Merc actually made a 320SL AMG from new, but perhaps it was converted as an option - is there a way of finding out? how can I tell if it's a genuine AMG?

and secondly it's been previously imported to the UK which worries me a little! Would love to know about other peoples experiences of imports. I've heard all sorts of stories about Japanese but nothing from Hong Kong ;-(

Also, should an import car have a Euro CofC of some description sold with it, so I can prove it's road legal?

What about insurance companies and imported cars - are premiums significantly higher?

Stacks of questions I know, but I've spents ages Googling and have found almost nothing about Hong Kong imports.

Appreciate any comments - cheers
Lea

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
"Grey" imports

I can't speak for the UK, but here in Oz grey imports are frowned upon. Most here come from Hong Kong, the UK or South Africa. They have a reputation for rust (our climate is kind to cars), often don't comply with local design rules and emissions requirements and often are not as well optioned. Typically, they will only sell for around half the price of a similar Australian compliance car.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
What about insurance companies and imported cars - are premiums significantly higher?
Yes the premiums will be higher, how much more will depend on your personnel detals (no claims, age etc.) and the insurance company themselves. I know some such as Hastings Direct won't touch imports.

You may also find some parts will be hard to source and that the dealer will have difficulty matching the VIN to the computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts