Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have yet to understand why kids think hondas are fast. But the security guard where I work drives a 2005 Civic EX coupe with big flashy bling rims on it and kept talkin down my Mercedes. And it ended up going to where it said his car could run mine. And I told him he didnt wanna go there, I told him his civic aint even in the same class as mine.

So before we raced I gathered some info:

1997 C280

194hp at 5500rpm
199lb-ft at 3750rpm
Curb weight: 3360lbs
Displacement: 2.8L
Compression: 10:1
0-60: 7.1 seconds (I managed about 7.3 seconds)
1/4 Mile: 15.6 seconds
Power to weight ratio: 116hp per ton

2005 Civic EX coupe (specs directly from Honda.com)

127hp at 6300rpm
114lb-ft at 4800rpm
Curb weight: 2639lbs
Displacement: 1.7L
Compression: 9.9:1
0-60: 8.1 seconds (without the big bling rims)
1/4 Mile: 16.5 seconds
Power to weight ratio: 96hp per ton (also not including the bling rims)

So I presented him with all this information, explained to him why he didnt wanna put any money down on it cuz he would lose (he wanted to put $300 down at first).

Where I work we have plenty of space in our lot for a small drag, roughly 200 feet. Hardly a drag race at all. I have nearly bald tyres and still managed to beat him by half a car length in such a short run while smoking the rear tyre through 1st and most of 2nd gear. He said he didnt think I won that, so I being the nice guy that I am I told him we could race again, but he didnt wanna drag again. He wanted to take it on the public roads, and I told him this isnt fast n furious this is real life and I wasnt gonna risk crashing my car to prove a point to him. His exact words were "Im willing to put lives on the line man".

So the next "race" was point to point. About 10 miles of highway to a mcdonalds, of which I didnt even know where it was to begin with. But I was like ok sure. When we first got onto the highway, since we were so far out of the city there wasnt any traffic so I gave him a little head start and floored it and hit my limited 131mph in about a mile leaving him far far behind and when I started catching up to traffic ahead I slowed down and just went the speed limit from then on, not cutting people off or anything. As I said, I wasnt going to risk crashing my car or someone else in rush hour traffic just to prove a point.

Sadly I didnt get the drag on video and there was no witnesses so he insist that he won. And I told him, that while he is laughing at me, everyone else is laughing at him cuz they already know my benz is faster. This also being the guy that claims to have dated a victoria secret model. Posers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think most of them believe in this "Vtec Power (or Kick)"
i see no point as the cars have nearly no torque, and what torque they have is near the high end.

·
Registered
141 Posts
He has the worst of the Civics, not even an Si or a K-series, not worth wasting anymore of your time on him. He can keep running his mouth until the next century, but he'll never have a clue what a fast car is like driving that econobox.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea. Hes telling everyone he "smoked" me. And so I told him we can always race again with people watching, Im sure they would love to see your honda beat my benz.

I offered to lay $250 down on the race. He said he would need more than that. So I said I would lay $1000 down. And his exact words were "I need to soup up my car if we are gonna put that much money down". I couldnt help myself.

Im sure he could do whatever he wanted to that little engine and I would still beat him. Cuz from the way that he talks, he wouldnt know the first clue of how to remotely make his engine fast. I hope he slaps a big turbo on there and blows his engine up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
let him talk so others get the impression that they'll smoke you aswell, then you can earn some money if they want to put money on it

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey Cambria,

down here in Brazil is the same thing, out on the street, honda drivers think they can outrun me, a C280 Sport Plus,

at the time i go off and the sound of this in-line-six that sounds like a big bike

after the thunder sound they just leave it alone, cus they see it´s impossible to catch up

·
Registered
534 Posts
cocky idiot honda civic drivers :( they think they have a fast car.

I have one on the driveway and all I can say is it's great on gas mileage
but no power at all.

you should bet him pinkslip to pinkslip.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cocky idiot honda civic drivers :( they think they have a fast car.

I have one on the driveway and all I can say is it's great on gas mileage
but no power at all.

you should bet him pinkslip to pinkslip.
He wanted to put pinks down at first too. But I told him I didnt want his honda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! Surprised to not see anybody trying to defend the little Hondas. I really hope all of you guy's arent the arrogant pricks that fit the stereotypes of most MB drivers (or at least the ones I often deal with in my line of work). Your security guard disgusts me, as do the 17 year olds pimping 4 door civics with gawdy rims and whale tale spoilers with fart cannon mufflers. I am an absolute Honda fanatic, have been since before "The Fast and the Furious", and trust me, your friend Barney Fife will indeed eventually put a turbo on his little D17 SOHC honda motor, with stock internals (connecting rods the size of your ring finger) and blow that sucker to bits. Just keep egging him on. Like I said before, he disgusts me, and a lot of other Honda junkies, who try so hard to abstain from the image of being just another riced out japanese import. Contrary to popular belief, among this thread at least, there are several honda's that will leave your 280 in the dust. And if Paul Blart could actually drive his car, the honda would leave you feeling quite winded if you decided to race head to head on a closed course with corners. I love my honda, please let me know if you would like to arrange a race, good news for you, it only has 130 hp, so by your calculations, you would totally win.... That being said, I absolutely adore my 94 c280. Because its NOT a Honda. The honda rides like a pogo stick, the 202 rides like a gentle breeze. The MB is the best interstate companion ever, the honda is like driving in a tunnel at WOT...only without the coolness of the tunnel, but with all of the exhaust noise. Creature comforts like thermostatic climate control, power sunroof, power seats, and the ability to carry more than one person comfortably, are virtually unheard of in my civic or my del sol. Kind of like the ability to take a 90 degree turn at 80 MPH, flat, is unheard of in my C280. I realize that there are better cars soup up to go fast in, but there is really no other brand out there that is so freakin CHEAP when you start comparing dollars to HP. No one, not Ford, Chevy, Toyota (Scion), Hyundai (own one of those too), or Mazda has the kind of affordability and the subsequent cult following that Honda has. For what one has to spend to get a MB dealer to service front and rear brakes on a C280, a Honda owner can swap in a motor with a 50hp advantage over the stock one, albeit he is doing the swap in his driveway with 2 guys that know nothing about cars, because its just that simple and cheap! I cant even put spark plug wires on my Benz for less than 70 bucks. Not to mention a distributor cap! (do MB people call it something else, or do they just not exist anymore) Comparing a MB to a Honda is like comparing apples to oranges, but to flout about it is just rude. You can search multiple honda forums, and i doubt you will find one post titled "Mercedes-Benz Drivers are Assholes". Maybe the title to this thread should be "Honda Drivers Who Think They Know What Theyre Doing Are Annoying" I have the utmost appreciation for my Benz, and for MB's level of engineering, but I also have respect for my roots, which began in my parents' driveway with a craftsman tool kit, and a 92 civic. Now I own $10,000 worth of tools and storage, and a solid, reliable (with a slight misfire due to a cracked, but seemingly un replaceable distributor cap) 94 MB C280 with 246K on it, a 92 Civic hatchback with 560K, and a del Sol awaiting a 200hp K24 (the Hyundai is my fiance's, because I dont trust a car with less than 100K). So I can choose my daily commute wisely, and 9 times out of 10, Im rockin the Benz Baby!
PS: any advice on where to locate a distributor cap would be greatly appreciated

·
5,048 Posts
Good answer. :)
He wanted to put pinks down at first too. But I told him I didnt want his honda.
My thoughts exactly... E55mocha

As racing on the road is totally stupid (especially with the line of work I'm in) sometimes I just can't help myself too. It's really funny to toy with big 'ol V8s that see me in my little SLK and then punch it when the light turns green... The uneducated don't really know how fast the R171 is, even with the little 3.0 that's in mine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow! Surprised to not see anybody trying to defend the little Hondas. I really hope all of you guy's arent the arrogant pricks that fit the stereotypes of most MB drivers (or at least the ones I often deal with in my line of work). Your security guard disgusts me, as do the 17 year olds pimping 4 door civics with gawdy rims and whale tale spoilers with fart cannon mufflers. I am an absolute Honda fanatic, have been since before "The Fast and the Furious", and trust me, your friend Barney Fife will indeed eventually put a turbo on his little D17 SOHC honda motor, with stock internals (connecting rods the size of your ring finger) and blow that sucker to bits. Just keep egging him on. Like I said before, he disgusts me, and a lot of other Honda junkies, who try so hard to abstain from the image of being just another riced out japanese import. Contrary to popular belief, among this thread at least, there are several honda's that will leave your 280 in the dust. And if Paul Blart could actually drive his car, the honda would leave you feeling quite winded if you decided to race head to head on a closed course with corners. I love my honda, please let me know if you would like to arrange a race, good news for you, it only has 130 hp, so by your calculations, you would totally win.... That being said, I absolutely adore my 94 c280. Because its NOT a Honda. The honda rides like a pogo stick, the 202 rides like a gentle breeze. The MB is the best interstate companion ever, the honda is like driving in a tunnel at WOT...only without the coolness of the tunnel, but with all of the exhaust noise. Creature comforts like thermostatic climate control, power sunroof, power seats, and the ability to carry more than one person comfortably, are virtually unheard of in my civic or my del sol. Kind of like the ability to take a 90 degree turn at 80 MPH, flat, is unheard of in my C280. I realize that there are better cars soup up to go fast in, but there is really no other brand out there that is so freakin CHEAP when you start comparing dollars to HP. No one, not Ford, Chevy, Toyota (Scion), Hyundai (own one of those too), or Mazda has the kind of affordability and the subsequent cult following that Honda has. For what one has to spend to get a MB dealer to service front and rear brakes on a C280, a Honda owner can swap in a motor with a 50hp advantage over the stock one, albeit he is doing the swap in his driveway with 2 guys that know nothing about cars, because its just that simple and cheap! I cant even put spark plug wires on my Benz for less than 70 bucks. Not to mention a distributor cap! (do MB people call it something else, or do they just not exist anymore) Comparing a MB to a Honda is like comparing apples to oranges, but to flout about it is just rude. You can search multiple honda forums, and i doubt you will find one post titled "Mercedes-Benz Drivers are Assholes". Maybe the title to this thread should be "Honda Drivers Who Think They Know What Theyre Doing Are Annoying" I have the utmost appreciation for my Benz, and for MB's level of engineering, but I also have respect for my roots, which began in my parents' driveway with a craftsman tool kit, and a 92 civic. Now I own $10,000 worth of tools and storage, and a solid, reliable (with a slight misfire due to a cracked, but seemingly un replaceable distributor cap) 94 MB C280 with 246K on it, a 92 Civic hatchback with 560K, and a del Sol awaiting a 200hp K24 (the Hyundai is my fiance's, because I dont trust a car with less than 100K). So I can choose my daily commute wisely, and 9 times out of 10, Im rockin the Benz Baby!
PS: any advice on where to locate a distributor cap would be greatly appreciated

I have nothing against hondas themselves. Its more against the ignorant drivers that drive them. Thinking that "vtec" is some kind of great boost like NOS or something. When its totally not. And in most of their cars you wont even notice it kick in. To make this particular guys case worse, he was in an automatic which is not only heavier but I imagine its probably half a second slower to sixty as well if 8 seconds wasnt slow enough.

The Del Sol is the only Honda I would ever buy, sadly they are hard to come across as people that own them dont want to sell them which makes them somewhat valuable around here. Talkin $5k for a decent used one, which is way too much for a honda if you ask me.

As for cornering, I still think my C280 would do better on a track than his Civic. Especially if he drove it. And when I get the money to get the suspension done on it, there wouldnt be a chance for that honda. Im not saying its impossible to MAKE a honda fast, but the time and money spent to make it a real competitive race car on the track or on the drag, you could buy a faster MB. And cruise in style. I understand its a hobby thing, but these kids still need to understand that just becuz they have a CAI and a fart can doesnt make their car any faster if not slower.

And about the distributor, I dont think these engines have that. They have coils, one coil per 2 cylinders. Im not sure as to if there is a distributor somewhere or not, havent seen one in my engine but I bet its your coil packs. They cost maybe $100 each to replace, and they will cause a misfire. When mine went out I had 3 or 4 misfires so I didnt even drive it anymore until I got it fixed. Or could be the wiring harness, I hear that is common for that year and would probably cause misfires as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Figured out my new Benz is a 300E (it was repainted and never rebadged, hence my ignorance) The guy who sold it to me just said it was a C class with an I6. Ive been so busy with work I drove it for a week without popping the hood except for the day I bought it. fixed the cap and the rest of the ignition system, runs great now. Sorry if my last post sounded edgy, I just didnt think it required time and effort to post a thread stating something that everyone already knows. Thats why I got my benz, just because I got tired of the looks, and the way people drive in the presence of a modded Honda, everybody either wants to race you, or they think youre trying to race them, so casually passing almost always results in a mini drag race. Its quite annoying, and makes driving a honda for the gas mileage that much more a hassle.

Good point on the del Sol's tho, theyre tough to find body parts for too, like quarter panels that rust out due to the flat trunklid, 800 bucks to replace em in parts alone. I have a friend who is selling a del Sol for $3500 with and Integra GSR engine swap...if your looking for a christmas present for yourself...

Anyways, thanks for the advice, sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I appreciate all the good info on this forum, and hope to be with my new Benz for a long time

1 - 20 of 25 Posts