Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that these cars are very complicated and can become nightmarish money pits. I have an opportunity to buy a 1995 S500 gun metal gray on gray with 83Kon the odometer. The seller is asking $11,000.00. I know what to look for in these cars, but I'd like some advice on the price. If I offered the seller $8,200.00 or less would this seem to be a reasonable starting point? What do you think?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is an Edmunds report for private party; go to their web site for a cleaner looking table of data:

1995 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 4 Dr S500 Sedan
Private Party
National Base Price $6,151
Optional Equipment $269
Power Moonroof $75
Air Conditioning - Front and Rear $136
AM/FM/CD Audio System $21
Compact Disc Changer $37
Color Adjustment
Gray $-14
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code 29687 $25
Mileage Adjustment
82,000 miles $1,061
Condition Adjustment
Clean $0
Total $7,492

region was SC

hope this helps,

Ed C

Certified

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know that these cars are very complicated and can become nightmarish money pits. I have an opportunity to buy a 1995 S500 gun metal gray on gray with 83Kon the odometer. The seller is asking $11,000.00. I know what to look for in these cars, but I'd like some advice on the price. If I offered the seller $8,200.00 or less would this seem to be a reasonable starting point? What do you think?
I have a different opinion....it depends what has been done AND that this is documented.

Things to look for: (conservative estimates including labor from an independent MB mechanic)

1-AC evaporator _______$2,500
2-ASR _______________$1,000
3-Engine harness ________$800
4-Self level susp. ________$700
5-Transmission ________$2,500
6-Side mirror function ____$300-$600
7-Timing chain+guides __$1,500
8-Misc. suspension ______$1,000
9-Misc. misc. ____________$500

a lot of zeros that can add up quickly. this is also the reason why these cars are a flat out bargain. FIND THE BEST CONDITION WITH BEST DOCUMENTATION...miles on these beasts dont matter. (S500's)

almost all items on this short list once addressed are probably good for the life of the car unless you're still driving beyond another 20yrs:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many, many thanks for this valuable information from all who responded. Yes, there has to be an objective basis for evaluating the worth of a used Mercedes and you have provided this. I am trying to discharge myself of any emotion while dealing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Talk him down, They are great cars but expensive. You need a 2-3K cushion just in case something needs to be fixed.

My Wind Shield wiper cost me 1K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts