Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2003 E 500 Avantgarde with all the bells and whistles but since it lacks the Homelink garage door opener and seens from time to time on Ebay some W211 homelink mirrors I've always wondered if it would be possible to install it and make it work of course or it's a no go like the dealer told me.

Currently the car has an autodimming mirror with the microphone for the telephone system so the target would be (in case it's possible) to find a mirror with these features and the homeling funcion as well.

More I also wonder if the US homeling mirror is the same of the European one in terms of frequencies and so on.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 E500
97 Posts
A quick Google search of your question brings up http://www.mercupgrades.com/Integrated+Garage+Door+Opener+-article-53.html, HomeLink Garage Frequencies (North America vs Europe) - MBWorld.org Forums, and HomeLink, all of which show Europe as separate from North America, so it seems you will have to restrict your search to European sources rather than the ones on Ebay.

Around here I'd probably check the scrapyards to see if I could get the part from a wrecked vehicle, but I don't know if that would work in Italy.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick Google search of your question brings up http://www.mercupgrades.com/Integrated+Garage+Door+Opener+-article-53.html, HomeLink Garage Frequencies (North America vs Europe) - MBWorld.org Forums, and HomeLink, all of which show Europe as separate from North America, so it seems you will have to restrict your search to European sources rather than the ones on Ebay.

Around here I'd probably check the scrapyards to see if I could get the part from a wrecked vehicle, but I don't know if that would work in Italy.
Hi dang2 and many many thanks for the links you provided. Actually what I feared is true that is (as per links provided by you) Europe uses different homelink frequencies than North American mirrors so fingers crossed I should find one in Europe.

The scrapyard route in Italy is not an easy one as it is in the US and the Homelink option is not very popular so I think I'll have much luck there.

But the main point that's not clear to me is what is involved in the installation of the mirror in a car that is not factory equipped with homelink itself as the dealer told me it's not possible but it seems strange to me...

Thanks in advance for all your replies :).

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 E500
97 Posts
I took a look at the Star Service CD, and you can refer your dealer to AN68.05-P-0001T, "Retrofit garage door opener," (5 steps), and AR68-40-P-0001T, "Remove/install inside rearview mirror," (13 steps). Actually, if you have those instructions and the part, and a few basic tools plus MB's mounting wedge or the equivalent, you could probably do it yourself.

If you can't get it done at the dealer (I should have thought of this before) for information, for the part, or for the installation, you might try contacting MBenzNL - Home. Steve traveled the world and did some major modifications for some of the MB forum members in the US. I don't know if he's still traveling - I don't see anything on his calendar on the website - but if you need an expert, you can't do much better, and if he can't do the installation he may know of someone who can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts