Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of a home workshop question than a mog specific question, but what the heck.
I'm working on the mog more and more (404) so I thought I'd build an axle stand. It's nothing flash, but it should do the trick once completed.

The base is 65mm square and 325mm across. Most of the steel is around 3mm wall thickness. At it's lowest it should sit at about 580mm off the ground and will probably only adjust up to 630mm. I can't see that I'll need it higher. The vertical support is 50mm pipe with another pipe snugly inside.
I haven't thought about the cradle to hold the mog axle. I guess I'll cut a template out of cardboard, then chop some 6mm x 50mm flat and weld it to the 50x25 that is there at the moment.
I'm not sure on the rating for the stand, or what is required for the weight of a 404.
The pin in the foreground is for the adjustment. No holes yet. It's about 12mm and made from a Hilux (Tacoma?) shifter.
I want it to be something I can throw in the truck and use if I ever need to change a tyre (tire) or otherwise work on the truck, even off road.

·
Registered
285 Posts
More of a home workshop question than a mog specific question, but what the heck.
I'm working on the mog more and more (404) so I thought I'd build an axle stand. It's nothing flash, but it should do the trick once completed.

The base is 65mm square and 325mm across. Most of the steel is around 3mm wall thickness. At it's lowest it should sit at about 580mm off the ground and will probably only adjust up to 630mm. I can't see that I'll need it higher. The vertical support is 50mm pipe with another pipe snugly inside.
I haven't thought about the cradle to hold the mog axle. I guess I'll cut a template out of cardboard, then chop some 6mm x 50mm flat and weld it to the 50x25 that is there at the moment.
I'm not sure on the rating for the stand, or what is required for the weight of a 404.
The pin in the foreground is for the adjustment. No holes yet. It's about 12mm and made from a Hilux (Tacoma?) shifter.
I want it to be something I can throw in the truck and use if I ever need to change a tyre (tire) or otherwise work on the truck, even off road.
i always use a intake or exhaust valve for the pin

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Whats the plan to extend the base when in use - base looks to small to me to be stable?
I agree, compared to the one's I have for my mog, they look kinda flimsy. I would extend the triangle up to the top of the tube. I can measure the base width of mine jf you want. They are rated at 10 ton a pair, but I almost managed to get one to topple over once when I had the jack a bit wrong on the axle and it was giving it a sideways load. The extendable parts are solid steel, the frames at least 5mm plate. Might be overkill, but I can't bench press a mog yet. See below.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Those stands will be fine for general use on a 404.

Just use common sense as you always should when lifting and supporting your mog.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
You can extend the base footprint by sleeving square tube inside your existing base structure.
Drill them for a pin or a bolt, so if the ground is soft, you could easily increase the footprint
With 4 chunks of tube, 4 bolts and a chunk of plywood.
Just adding a little to what you have built already.

·
1,659 Posts
You can extend the base footprint by sleeving square tube inside your existing base structure.
Drill them for a pin or a bolt, so if the ground is soft, you could easily increase the footprint
With 4 chunks of tube, 4 bolts and a chunk of plywood.
Just adding a little to what you have built already.
Agreed and simple way to make them very stable while keeping storage size small

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated. Regarding the small looking base. I agree that it looks like it would easily topple, but I made it wider than a similar shop bought one. I like to have the support stand located as far out toward the wheel hub as possible, if the base is too wide then it gets in the way of the tire, so it's a compromise. I'll be keen to hear back about what width other stands are. Also I'll keep in mind that this is for a 404, which is a lot lighter than the big boys.
I'll keep building it and take a few more snaps as I go.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Hi Simon, my standard are 380mm x 320mm. Max height 780mm. So the are not much different from yours, but the plate is pretty thick - 5mm for the base/body, and 8mm around the top that supports the extendable part. The extension part is solid steel I section, about 10mm thick at the thinnest part, and 12-14mm on the part that cradles the axle. I would be more concerned about deflection or setting up on uneven ground. In pure axial load they would be plenty strong, but if the ground is not even, and you are tugging on a cheater bar with both hands. I would be looking at putting some end caps on the tubes on the base - some 3mm off cuts.

Best thing it after you've built then, put them under the mog, and try and pull it off them and see if it wobbles - I think we all don't want to see you get squashed by your mog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts