Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.3 1993
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there are a hole on the right side below the gas cap when you open the lid. What is that for? I worry about the rain will go to the hole and pass into the trunk.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
That hole is a drain in case the gaz tank overflows, it doesn't matter if water gets in there.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Yup, lots of drains on these cars. I use mine to drain the water out when I clean the inside of the flap and that area. It was a good idea by Mercedes to put it there.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
hole

I assume it's for the same reason as the one on my '78 280SE; it allows water which accumulates in the fuel filler area to drain down a hose through the floor of the trunk and onto the ground. It could also allow overflowng fuel to drain in the same way. Am I right here?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I assume it's for the same reason as the one on my '78 280SE; it allows water which accumulates in the fuel filler area to drain down a hose through the floor of the trunk and onto the ground. It could also allow overflowng fuel to drain in the same way. Am I right here?
If the seal on the cap gets bad, fuel can leak out. Yes, this is also to allow the fuel to drain UNDER the car.

The hose for this drain can be located in this photo on the far left edge of the photo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts