Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S420
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a torrential thunderstorm today and when I went out to the car to head to the post office, the radio display showed 'PHONE'. Ugh.

So after much forum searching, I figure either the radio went kaput or something got wet, so I first hit the on/off button a million times. :) ...I then pulled the fuses and re-coded the radio but with no positive results.

Next I took off the left interior panel in the trunk and realized the antenna wasn't going all the way up or down. I also found a ground strap attached to, I think, the inner fender and just dangling..Hmmmm...
I also saw a large black box under the antenna...what is this?

So anyway, does the antenna not extending all the way have anything to do with the 'PHONE" issue? And what's this crazy ground strap doing dangling in the breeze? Darned if I can see where it attaches..
Is the extending antenna only for the phone?

What can I try next? Can I disconnect the phone stuff altogether?

Thanks for any pointers...
Chris

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Disconnecting the handsets(s) is easy. The dash piece just presses in like the clusters. Just pop it out with a pocket screwdriver. Disconnecting the wiring is is obvious. I don't have my service manual but I think the receiver is in the trunk. Good luck!

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
I had a bad seal on my 320, and found water would corrode the "clip on" circuit board that attaches to the antenna assembly. Remove it and clean it and you might find it still works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts