Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been quite a few postings here regarding the audio system. In my car I have the optional HK system which has 11 upgraded speakers (rather than 9 standard speakers) a different amplifier system and a 'surround sound' feature.

I recall reading that another member had experienced an intermittent 'burst' of much improved sound but sadly, like many others, he was not impressed with the general state of affairs with little or no volume coming from the four rear speakers.

I too have experienced this situation - generally the sound is adequate but not great....you have to put your ear very close to the rear speakers to be sure that they are connected at all. I appreciate that they are for dimensional infill only, and were it not the case that I was driving recently (on three separate occasions) when they burst into a far superior mode I would perhaps have accepted that the general state of affairs was all that I was ever going to get.

Please note that this query is in connection with the HK Logic7 system only - has anyone else experienced this problem or resolved it....I have a feeling that there may be a general problem with the system (or perhaps the audio gateway itself) as installed.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The rear speakers seem to only really come alive when playing a DVD movie. For example, if I put in one that has a fancy 'sound test' intro screen with whizzing stuff flying around making whooshing noises and the like, only then do I really hear the rear speakers booming out at me. But when playing music, it seems that most of the sound comes from the front speakers.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
I have never ever been impressed by HK systems. I did not even get it for my previous BMW as a upgrade option. On the day I got the BMW, I went to a local audio shop and change the whole OE system. Bose systems are farrrrrrrrr better and I wish I had it on my SLK....

I just needed the nav system but the HK logic thing came with it and I had no expectation, whatsoever with it from my experience. Oh well....

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
I am also VERY disappointed with the HK7 system.
seems so muted,no separation(as mentioned before)
For $2800.00 I am NOT impressed.
The 4 speaker radio in my old SLK320 was better!!!

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I find the HK system also somewhat lacking. My 280 watt JBL in my Lincoln is much better. It is better than standard systems, but disappointing for a "Premium Sound System".

Roberta

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
Some previous threads seemed more enthusiastic about the HK system. 11 speakers with only 2 woofers does seem an odd line-up. Hopefully it's still better than the 9-speaker standard one, as I have ordered Comand & HK.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
I was told at the dealer that the rear "speakers" were not full range but were tweeters. What do they know?

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Unlike you guys, I have the standard Audio 20 system. Has any one here installed an aftermarket system with good rear speakers or a subwoofer? Where would one install additional speakers in the first place? I was thinking subwoofer, but then I would not have a place for my briefcase [:(!]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I still like the HK setup, I think the sound is clearer and stronger then the BOSE setup in my old SLK. You can play more with the bass and other settings, and upping the volume has a definitive effect this time, not an ear shattering type where the R170 would begin to saturate a bit and the lower notes were prevalent. With the HK, there is more distinction.

·
Registered
350SLK AMG (2005)
47 Posts
HK is far better than Bose!!!

and thoes of u complaining about the HK sound - I think u need to check ur ears.

the system has been designed to be front projection not rear like most 4 seater cars, thus the rear speakers are not supposed to be that in ur face, they are mainly tweeters for high freq noise.

also and due to the multiple channels not all speackers will be used by most Music CD's however Film DVD's with DTS e.t.c use more this is why they are more noticable with films.

Great system!

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
I've been trying to hold my tongue, but can't sit quiet any longer. The HK system in our vehicle is a complete disappointment in comparison to how it was marketed by my dealer and in the hype literature available on the web or actual brochure. I was sucked in like the rest and went with the upgrade only to be disappointed with a mediocre sound system. My previous special edition Miata, although apples & oranges performance wise, had a 6 speaker Bose system that separated and enhanced the sound with the top up, down and varied with the speed of the vehicle. With the top down or up the music was always positioned around me, not AT me. I am thrilled with the performance of this vehicle, but really disappointed with the sound system limitations and the nano-ceramic paint. Mediocre is not what I expected from my first MB.

bobbyM

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
I'm glad to see I am not the only 1 with these feelings. And i'm sure the DVD's sound great, but in th U.S. we are NOT permitted to watch them while driving(or sitting).

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
It's a shame you guys can't experience the DVD sounds then, because I can really feel the back speakers being put to the test in some scenes.

The old SLK used to increase the volume when you drove faster, the new one does it based on background noise.

I also drove and listened to the radio of a 6 speaker setup on a Miata, but was not convinced at all, it sounded drab. Maybe different strokes for different ears?

I think, we should maybe all get together, and write one large a$$ letter to MB, and tell them to release a firmware upgrade for the SLK that lets us modify individually the volume of each, and every speaker in the car. It CAN be done, it's just software, so it can be programmed inside. How about it guys? This could solve the pet peeves of some people.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I have COMAND and the HK sound system. From reading other posts, I must have the only car whose audio sound does not increase as the outside sound increases, i.e. with the top down on the freeway driving 70-80. Is there a setting for this that I have not found?

Also, the sound seems very different when I use the AUX port with my IPOD than when I play the radio or CDs. I have the sound selection set to Logic 7. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Hey M

I find the IPOD sound dimished and volume limited (even w/the IPOD volume up all the way) in comparison to listening to the same tunes in the 6-CD player. Still sounds just mediocre. Hoping when IPOD integration arrives that sound will at least improve to the CD sound level, which is still just average. Hate settling for average. Drive Fast!

bobbyM-Boston

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
I have used the Ipod when connected to my home system with the same experience, even using Monster cable.

I suspect that it may be the way I have recorded the tunes on the pod.?
Check it out otherwise the Ipod connection- to- come may not help.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
For those of you who are disappointed by the HK sound, I may have the answer. I will be installing a custom box with an 8" sub and a mono amp behind the driver seat. I am working on the dimensions now. I do not expect it to take any space other than the small netted cutout behind the driver seat. Once the Kicker subwoofer takes the lower frequency, I believe the whole system will sound a lot better. Also, it will help with the bass when the top is down. I wanted better sound without losing space. No way am I going to put a sub box in the small trunk either. I think this will be the best solution. I will post an update with pics when its complete. BTW, the sub I'm using is Kicker s8l5 and the amp is Kicker kx600.1 found on http://www.kicker.com/05/05kicker.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts