Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 G500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I am frustrated, I bought a hitch from JC Whitney and now I am having a difficult time getting the factory wiring harness. Does anyone know for sure if I can still buy this wiring harness from the dealership without buying the whole hitch kit?

I think the wiring harness part number is 66850046. Can someone advise me if this is the right part number. I have a 2002 G500

Thank you all,
Mario

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
256 Posts
There is a MB p/n for the 2 wiring harnesses. One is the main harness and the other is the harness for the brake control. They both come with the MBUSA trailer hitch. Now you know why the MB hitch cost more and the other guys do not sell the wiring .The part is NOT available. The p/n shows to be a good number in the system. You can try to order them but ask for a expected delivery date! I sold the only one I had 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
02 G500
76 Posts
Steve D said:
There is a MB p/n for the 2 wiring harnesses. One is the main harness and the other is the harness for the brake control. They both come with the MBUSA trailer hitch. Now you know why the MB hitch cost more and the other guys do not sell the wiring .The part is NOT available. The p/n shows to be a good number in the system. You can try to order them but ask for a expected delivery date! I sold the only one I had 2 weeks ago.

The MB hitch kit I bought only had the rear harness in it. I had to buy the front controller harness seperately.

The harnesses are nicely made, easy to install.

·
Registered
'81 300GD Cabrio, '78 450 SEL 6.9 Rocketship, Rover HSE
704 Posts
kre8tive202 said:
Hello everybody,
I am frustrated, I bought a hitch from JC Whitney and now I am having a difficult time getting the factory wiring harness. Does anyone know for sure if I can still buy this wiring harness from the dealership without buying the whole hitch kit?

I think the wiring harness part number is 66850046. Can someone advise me if this is the right part number. I have a 2002 G500

Thank you all,
Mario
Is there some reason on a newer G why you can't just buy a generic harness and solder it in? Does the MB factory harness have some type of overcurrent protection built in?. Even so, couldn't you just install inline fuses to protect the truck wiring from a trailer short?

·
Registered
96 S600. Formerly 02 G500, 99 E320, 85 300SD
78 Posts
You could make your own harness. It's only four wires for the controller (pos, grnd, brake switch, brake line to rear) and six wires to the hitch plug (brake line, brake lamps, 2 turn lamps, running lamps, ground). Time consuming, cheap, and not rocket science.

Steve
02 G500

·
Registered
2002 G500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am starting to get the feeling that I am SOL on getting the wiring harness seperately. Does anyone know where I can get a good price on a whole hitch kit? I have seen some members pay around $500.00 for the whole kit. Does anyone have a hook up?

Thanks,
Mario
2002 G500

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Uberxy said:
You could make your own harness. It's only four wires for the controller (pos, grnd, brake switch, brake line to rear) and six wires to the hitch plug (brake line, brake lamps, 2 turn lamps, running lamps, ground). Time consuming, cheap, and not rocket science.

Steve
02 G500
Won't work unless you don't mind all the silly warning messages you'll get trying to attempt it. I think the ESP/BAS/ABS settings might be effected also.

·
Registered
G500 sold,F350 sold,G55,Honda Ridgeline
58 Posts
I tryed & hooked up a after market trailer wiring from U-haul. I started having error messages from the get go. Took the truck into the dealer & after 4 hours of trouble shooting they found the after market parts were the problem. Don't try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts