Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a trailer hitch on my new C230 coupe to host a bike rack (because I don't want to put my old trunk mounted rack on my brand new car for risk of scratches!). Does anyone have any experience with installing a trailer hitch? It doesn't have to be a very "heavy duty" hitch, since it's only going to haul 2 bikes. I'm trying to figure out where to take it to have the work done etc... Also, I read some horror stories of someone who had one installed on a BMW and they cut holes in the rear skirt to make room for it.

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I know they do, but unfortunately I've determined that I'm really not strong enough to safely put my bike on top of a car. I have significant risk of either hurting myself or the car!

·
Registered
68 Posts
oh sorry to hear about that. I've been under my car more times than I can count. I don't recall seeing a decent place to mount a hitch. I'm guessing that unless it's a MB part, it'd be a butcher job.

[:D] Can you get a lighter bike? [:D]

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike is already alum. So I guess maybe I need stronger arms!

Stopped by the dealer this week, and sure enough they DON'T make or install a hitch, said I'd have to find something aftermarket. Has ANYONE out there installed a hitch on their C230???

·
Registered
W203 230 Kompressor
111 Posts
The entire rear of the car is plastic and has no place to put a hitch, sorry but I think your going to have to go with a universal rack.

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I haven't been under my car ... but there HAS to be a way (doesn't there?). (Heck, even a Porsche Boxster (the MOST unlikely vehicle to be looking for a hitch) can have have one!).

I guess I should have investigated this before buying the car, but it's important enough to me to really look for some way to make it happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey DLLc230,

You are in luck.

I have a c230SS 2005 with a hitch on if for the same reason you need one. Its perfect for 2 bikes. Its strong and was bolted to the inside of the bumper and the metal frame of the chassis. I hitch 2 bikes about 15 times last year with no problems.

There is a company called "delmar" or something like that that makes hitches for german cars. Can't remember right now but that is the one i had installed. I got mine installed in New York City. Next time i drive by the hitch stop, i'll give you the number.

Sorry can't provide much info right now but it can be done so you just got to find someone who can do it.

ps. try calling Uhaul.

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neilsam-

Cool, Cool, Cool. Thanks so much for the post. I was out on a website this weekend (www.etrailer.com) and saw that they had a search engine for your make/model to find a suitable hitch. For the 2005 year, the only MB models shown were the SUV's, but for 2005 they showed a hitch by Da'lan that fit the C-class sedan and wagon. It was the "Class 1 Proframe receiver". This at least gives me hope, but I'm worried that the rear end of the coupe (which is what I have) is different enough that maybe the application is completely different.

Do you think this was the brand of yours? What bodystyle is your car? (Maybe the "ss" should tell me, but I'm not sure :) ) You mention U-Haul. I know they install hitches, but for some reason I wasn't sure they'd be nice to my car. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
i have a OEM catalog from a dealer in Bonn, that lists three hitches for the car line...ill bring in the numbers tomorrow...

jake

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Your hitch for a sport sedan will not fit a sport coupe.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Most listed are for a 4MATIC...but there is this one...

E-Satz fur Anhangevorrichtung (supplement device)

Bestell-Nr. B6 685 0028

Eur/St. 188,-

additonal information from catalog page, not price list states...

Anhangevorrichtung
Abnehmbar, max. Stutzlast 75 kg.

hope this helps
this is for limo and t model, not coupe
jake

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jake,

Thanks. Who is the manufacture/catalog name? If you happen to have the catalog with you, do you notice if they have a manufacture/catalog web site?

·
Registered
2 Posts
DLL C230,

Sorry about not reading you had a coupe, so i'm not sure whether the one i got will work.

Anyway, It was a Da'lan Hitch. Catalog number is 257252. Send me your email and i'll send you the instructions.

It is made for c class sedans model year 01-04. They said they haven't tested it on the 05 but it should work b/c it's the same body style (w203).

I got it installed at www.hitchking.com They were refeerred by my bike shop AND the Mercedes dealer. They did a GREAT job.

Not sure if all this helps you since you have a coupe but give hitchking a call.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
thats from the official catalog...over in Germany the dealer is always ready to help you out...not that they are not here - but i have never been to an American Showroom that had ready to go options, catalogs, tuned cars, etc...

this is from

Original-Zubehor fur die C-Klasse
Limousine und T-Modell.Stand April 2004

by Mercedes-Benz

those are official numbers...

it also has

Fahrradhalter, Alustyle
B6 684 8550
107 euro

thats an aluminum roof rake for bikes
jake

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I need to find a different dealer. All I got from the dealer I asked was "no, MB doesn't make a hitch" "you should get the roof rack" a shrug and then the suggestion that any other solution would be non-OEM.

I was assuming that the hitch you referenced was aftermarket/non-OEM, right?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
There are no hitches for the coupe; not factory, not aftermarket. I looked for over a year. With the seven inches removed from the rear of the car, the structure to which the hitch would be attached is not there. You might be able to have one custom fabricated, if you removed the spare tire well and built a new floor in the cargo compartment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts