Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I started up my car, I noticed a hissing from the right quadrant of the engine compartment, so passenger side, pretty much right above where the wheel is.

I didn't have much choice to not drive it, so I drove it and nothing bad happened, anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
I supposed you checked to make sure that your air filter box wasn't unclipped and/or an intake hose wasn't loose? That would make a lot of hissing noise. Did the hissing stop? You didn't say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
probably a vacuum leak... there is a vacuum hose that runs under the battery and forward - mine was broken by leaking battery acid. sounds like a hiss.

...jotham

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car runs great though.

No, I'm an idiot, I forgot to see if it stopped.

At any rate, tonight I found out that the "flash to pass" doesn't work, so I'll be taking it in sooner or later...

I bought the extended warranty, so time is on my side now. [:D]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has started something similar (although I've only had it a week but luckily also have a year MB warranty!!).

It also hisses/puffs (again sounds like passenger side) and is dependant upon engine speed.

I'd also be thinking vacumn leak from somewhere on mine and was thinking inlet/exhaust manifold gasket whichever is on the passenger side but will have a look today (been too busy for the last 2 days since I noticed it).

Mine stops making the noise after around 10-15 minutes of use and also runs fine so I'm guessing minor leak which is stopped by something expanding sufficiently to block it when warm.

I'll report back once its been to the garage.

PS. You've saved me posting a new topic as I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it or if it had always done it [:)]

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
deathrattle - 3/19/2005 3:06 AM

Anyone seen my pet snake?[:D]

I have!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts