Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have a dumb question.

The SD uses the older five pin (fat) 6000 U 485. It has the shorter neck, like for the SL. I was able to feed the cable for the antenna in all the way, but the shaft does not retract fully. I am having the same issue with the longer neck 487 that will not fully retract. Am I failing to see something? Should the pig tail be trimmed so that it will fit better? I get the feeling that there is no more room in the thing for there to retract.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Not probable. I cleaned the mechanism rather well and pulled out any offending ends.

I have not had this issue with the taller necked antenna

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I am still battling the darn shaft. Now the cut off wheel is kicking the power off before I can get it fully installed or extended.

The other PIA is the death of the controller boards. Has anybody found a viable solution to getting them rebuilt or am I SOL? And, why did the builders have such stout motors, but such limited life electronics?

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I would reach out to the guys in California: Horst (teutone), John White (jonwhite99), Dave (ElRojo) or David (bondavi) as they regularly dive the yards and they can source a new board for you fairly easily. Dave might not anymore, but the rest do.

Or, you can wait till my stuff gets out here in two months as I know I have some 5 pins in my stash.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I am a yard denizen, and am tired of cobbling together bits and bobs to make working units to fit my needs. If there were a source able to repair the controller board, that would make me happy to send it out to make the antenna whole once more. I suspect I could purchase rebuilt units from Becker on eBay and send them a core. That is a bunch of cash to make a $15 part useful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Antenna control board in 560SEC

Hi,
i Need to either fix or replace control board in hirschmann antenna on my car.
i took it apart due to not extending fully, clean all the parts, replace those two gears, when i put it back together the motor was not responding to the signal.
i notice a lot of oxidation on the board, cleaned with circuit board cleaner with no results, looks like something got fried.
im looking for help. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I MAY have some spare boards. If you're not in a rush, I've been unpacking all my stuff and I am getting rid of all of my 126 parts if I can. I'll look and see what's left.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Contact @jonwhite99 or @bondavi as they are all over the yards every w/e and can probably grab you one sooner than I can. Tell them how many pins your antenna has so they know to get you the right one.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Just to add to this long-running thread......I see some evolution in these antennas, mostly good. I have an original '92 4matic and another one of the same yr bought recently. My original TE had the original Hirschmann and this new-to-me TE has another older model someone put in. So having the two, I can see some design evolution. The older one actually has some more serviceable points; the circuit board is inside a plastic module that slides on top of the housing and locks into position. The inside gears are not held into place by a two-prong metal holder. Also, the roller on the backside of the antenna gear whip is solid instead of concave. While the newer unit addresses some design weakness with regard to weather damage, the older one is very plug & play with regard to replacing stuff.

I think it's easier for moister to enter this older one as well. All that said, the older style is a lot more readily serviceable, especially the circuit board. The circuit board on my original '92 is somewhat rare, but I found out that you can make other circuit boards work. So if you have this one, you shouldn't hold out for just that CB. Basically, you can ignore all the old phone circuit drama related to these units and just concentrate on making the antenna go up & down.

My CB has four power transistors. On one of them, moister had accumulated on the legs for a very long period. The middle leg completely crumbled when I touched it. Rather than try to hunt down the transistor with like Mouser and wait....I made a leg for the transitor....cleaned up the middle portion which was now flush with the body and soldered the new leg to the transistor and board. Not for the faint of heart, but works perfectly....that leg was just a ground. Be nice to be poor with circuit boards, but that's not my case.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Thanks...that should have read moisture, not moister....damn spell check.

It would be easy to get addicted to working on these units....they are made rather well. Be sure to coat the inside foam gasket and the outside rubber gasket when re-installing. I use silicone grease.

Kevin

121 - 133 of 133 Posts