Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Mclare - 5 years later and your post is still wonderfully helpful - Thank you !!

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I wonder if mclare is still online, I have been reading through the very informative posts about repairing different aerials, thanks a lot as they are very good.

I would like to ask a speculative question - I replaced the radio in my 1989 W126 300se [European model - I am in the UK] with an Alpine radio, and when I took out the old radio, some-one had fitted a JVC unit before I bought the car], I found that a relay has been connected to the aerial connections, to drive the aerial up and down.

I would like to ask if there is a relay to drive the aerial up and down in the actual aerial casing ? Or else why would a relay have been fitted behind the radio ? I can't see a hole in the dashboard panels for a separate aerial switch, or where a switch may have been removed, but then I can't see why a separate relay would have been fitted behind the radio.

I haven't tried disconnecting the relay yet, I just thought that I would ask the question in case anyone has seen anything similar, and hoping that mclare may be able to give me an idea.

Is it possible to get a wiring diagram for the radio electrics that would include the aerial connections ?

parkman

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Parkman,

IIRC it is a seperate power wire that when the radio is on, 12v goes to the motor of the antenna thru the harness, Cannot remember the colors, but it is as simple as that. If the tuner is on, the antenna goes up on mine and if I switch to the IPhone or AUX, it goes down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. I thought that was the case, and I knew from taking out the old radio, and confirmed by mclare, that the power to the aerial is red and the trigger to lift the aerial is blue. So I wonder if there are only three wires going to the aerial control ? Permanent 12v, a switched 12v and negative.

I changed the electric aerial on a 2001 Jaguar XJ recently and that was just a straight forward change, 2 small bolts to undo, drop down the aerial, unplug it and stick the replacement straight back in - 15 minutes and it was done. Also the aerial is the same for all the XJ 300 series so you can call any breaker and just ask for that model aerial and you fine.

I still can't understand why the previous owner, who I haven't been able to contact [ I think he's dead :eek: :eek: :D], would have fitted a relay behind the radio. Maybe it has replaced a dashboard switch, but I supposed the only way to find out is to take it out and see what happens.

I don't suppose there is any way of telling if the aerial is fully automatic or, as mclare said ages ago, partly automatic, in that the switch on the dashboard lifts and lowers the aerial, except be putting power to it.

Ah well, it will give something to do at the weekend :D

parkman

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know if any of you have had trouble getting an antenna to feed into the antenna unit after a rebuild or when replacing a broken mast but I had a big difficulty on my last mast replacement. I tried the 2 person approach with one person turning the key and me feeding the serrated cable (in the right direction) but it seemed to hang up and did not feed. I spent another 10 -12 times by myself trying to jump between the interior and grab the antenna to feed and never could get this supposed to be easy step done. Finally I said there has got to be a better way and I took a clear flexible tubing about 12 inches long and cut a single split length wise from the top to the bottom. The tube needs to be big enough to go around the bottom part of the mast but small enough in outside dimensions to go into the inside of the units aluminum tube. You put the split tube into the units tube from outside the trunk fender and insert the serrated cable in the proper direction. You can feel it slip deeper into the unit as the plastic tube allows the cable end to slip past the slight gap between the aluminum tube and the unit body. Then when the key is turned the mast feeds perfectly to engage the gears. I'm not sure if all units have this gap but the coiled cable causes the cable to hang up on any obstruction. Oh, you remove the split plastic tube before you completely retract the antenna -just pull it up and slip the cable through the split. This helped me save what little hair I have left and I hope it will help others.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Yes, I am still online. Yes, you can get the schematics. PM me your email.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm trying to find which points to lubricate inside the 6000el. I realize that I have opened a working unit... and thought a little clean up and lube can only help.
I am thinking white lithium grease on motor shaft? Any other points to put lube on?...what about the plastic wheels and teeth?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm trying to find which points to lubricate inside the 6000el. I realize that I have opened a working unit... and thought a little clean up and lube can only help.
I am thinking white lithium grease on motor shaft? Any other points to put lube on?...what about the plastic wheels and teeth?
Thanks.
Yes on the WLG, and yes on the gears and the shaft. I use a good dollop of it.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
You are most welcome! If you need anything else like the service manuals, PM me your email and I will send them along with many other handy docs I have collected over the years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Antenna Motor

Hello,
I have a 86 560 SL and the drive motor is shot. I am looking for a supplier for the motor. I hate to buy the whole thing just for the motor. The gears moved freely after I removed the drive belt. The motor is frozen. Thanks

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Purchase from mclare! Great service and invaluable advice

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Purchase from mclare! Great service and invaluable advice
Thanks Jorden. Yes, I have plenty of motors, prolly 6-7 sitting at my feet right now. PM me if interested.

Wow, the place sure has changed since I've been away. New look and feel, Multi-quote.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Necro! Also, great write up. Lastly: My radio triggers the up and down and the motor goes but doesn't seem to engage anything. Would this likely fix my problem or should I do the whole rebuild?

Amazon.com: Hirschmann Antenna Mast: Automotive

81 - 100 of 133 Posts