Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was hoping some owners of r171 slk 200's could tell me whether it was a good or dumb idea to drive a SLK around Italy on holiday for a few weeks? I will be there soon and was thinking of hiring an slk200 over a normal sedan, simply because it seems like a fun car to go top down through some of the scenic areas of the country.

But I'm wondering how practical it is? Would you SLK owners go crazy driving all day city to city in your SLK? Is it comfortable? How is it with the roof up? Cramped or not?

Also, the boot is listed as 240L with roof down I think, is this enough to fit two backpacker type bags, is there many little compartments in the car intself?

And finally, how is security with such a car, would anyone here be nervous leaving such a car in strange big cities?

I guess overall I just want to get a feel if this kind of car is suited for a driving holiday, or whether it makes more sense to take something more practical (it is a very sexy car though;))?

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Welcome Captain! Where abouts are you from?

A convertible would be perfect through Italy, however you'll have to think really carefully about what you take if you plan on hiring an SLK. You might just be able to fit to large backpacks in the boot with the roof down, but you won't be able to get them out without putting it up.

The cockpit is large and roomy, with a big glovebox, centre storage bins, door pockets, and room behind the seats. Certainly no room in there for bags though. The car is very comfortable to drive (I drive it every day in the city, and it's a manual) and I never get tired of it. I'm 6 foot, and still don't have the seat all the way back, so it isn't cramped at all.

Having said that, Maybe you can hire a CLK cab. or something with that little bit of extra room. That way you get a big boot, rear seats, and still get that open air experience.

Jono

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Unless you limit your baggage to just underwear and a shaving kit [:D] Great idea though.... Have fun.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
This summer I will be driving from London to Barcelona. The car is perfect for summer cruising, top down. I was going to go to Italy, but went for Spain in the end. The luggage space is limited top down and you might struggle getting 2 backpacks in there. So far my car has been fine in London, there are risks with any car and your hire car insurance will cover any problems so enjoy.
Good idea? Abso F***ing lutely.
If you want a better idea of what you will get look at the online manual
http://www.mercedes-benz.lu/fr/fr_slk.htm

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Brilliant Idea!
The idea is so good that I am going to Italy myself this summer .... if they deliver my car before Xmas!
Have fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JonoM I'm from Brisbane, currently a z3 owner but like the look of the SLK.

Cheers for the all the advice, am seriously considering doing it, only concern is really parking the thing when in Rome and driving it down south and making sure it doens't get dented or knicked since it does stand out a bit.

·
Registered
SLK 200
261 Posts
Mate!
I am Itlaian... well... part of me is...
When in Rome .. do like the Romans do. Park on the pavement and prey ahahahaha Alternateviley, I suggest that you park in you hotels parking and walk around the turist attactions in Rome. Rome can be easily visited on foot. The main atractions are all within walking distance, apart from Vatican city which can be reched by tube in about 20 mins form the center.
Enjoy Italy, enjoy the SLK.
Ciao

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Yeah, be real careful in Italian cities. Italians are not known for their exemplary driving skills...

What I mean is that some people will have complete and utter disregard for the car, so make sure you have good insurance. Saying that, an SLK will be a great drive, and the 200 won't use up too much gas. Do stay in hotels that have private parking, you don't want someone messing with that car, especially if it's rental.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts