Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im new with ML
just got 02 ml 320
while going on highway few days after purchase the drive shaft bearing broke down completely, sudden vibration , the vehicle was towed to a shop.
so pretty much the shaft was turning inside the center support bearing frame

the mechanic replaced it with URO one, everything seamed fine, but i was noticing little rear end vibration at 120 km/h +
i was thinking it is the newly installed winter tires (bad balance) but
now the vibration got worse, really noticeable even at 100km/h
i checked underneath , my new bearing is owned .... the rubber part started to separate from metal frame which is screwed to the vehicles frame ....
contact the manufacturer for a replacement bearing, they sent me out a new one

but curious what the problem might be ....
thinking about bad quality bearing ?
or the drive shaft needs to be balanced .... ?
also thinking the mechanic screed up something with a way he put the shaft back together .... ?

dunno what to do ....

thinking about keeping my BMW .... FK first benz in my life and first car going on a tow truck to a shop.... sh***t

hope you guys will help !!!

thank you !

·
Purple Moderator
21,698 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mechanic who replaced it confirmed that he had marked everything and lined shaft together ....
do you know if it is possible to mess up the drive shaft balance because of driving for a bit with broken ( i can say without) drive shaft bearing

what if i replace the bearing and the vibration exists..... ?

:confused:any other ideas please

·
Purple Moderator
21,698 Posts
It is possible that the universal joints could have been damaged, but that should have been noticed during the repair.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
There could have been a problem that destroyed the first bearing. The PO tried to fix with a new bearing just before you bought it thus the failure of the second bearing which you replaced with a third bearing.
Everything needs to be looked at very closely.
Mike

·
Registered
450 Posts
Misa,
maybe your mechanic marked and lined up the driveshaft for reassembly but how about the center support to frame of your vehicle? Before removing the old unit, you have to mark exact position of it on the frame. If you don't have the old one to look at the screw head marks on it, use a laser pointer that creates thin line. Lift your vehicle up and shine the laser from the bottom hitting center of the transfer cese output flange and input flange of the rear differencial. At this point you will clearly see how much from the center line you support bearing and center u-joint is.
One member here had the same problem after installation of new bearing but he still had the old one to look at the bolt marks and move his new unit accordingly.
If I find his thread I will post it, I believe he called me names like scholar and genius because his vibration was gone after bearing support realignment. Here it is for you:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1420947-center-driveshaft-replacement-2.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ner uro bearing arrived

hey thanks for the replies
the new bearing arrived today , uro made ...................
looks really crappy , the bearing is kinda sideways... you will see from the picture....

here is the pictures

funny thing is that on my car it looks the same, and i was thinking that it failed... so if that gap on one side considered normal, than pretty much i got another bearing for free .....

i dont have old bearing, but that one looked old... the bearing was out of lube inside, probably it got stuck on one point when it would not turn any more and than the rubber teared apart...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Misa,
maybe your mechanic marked and lined up the driveshaft for reassembly but how about the center support to frame of your vehicle? Before removing the old unit, you have to mark exact position of it on the frame. If you don't have the old one to look at the screw head marks on it, use a laser pointer that creates thin line. Lift your vehicle up and shine the laser from the bottom hitting center of the transfer cese output flange and input flange of the rear differencial. At this point you will clearly see how much from the center line you support bearing and center u-joint is.
One member here had the same problem after installation of new bearing but he still had the old one to look at the bolt marks and move his new unit accordingly.
If I find his thread I will post it, I believe he called me names like scholar and genius because his vibration was gone after bearing support realignment. Here it is for you:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1420947-center-driveshaft-replacement-2.html

wow , i think that what it is ! very very big THANK YOU !!!

·
Purple Moderator
21,698 Posts
I would not put another URO in.

If time allows get the Spicer made unit from parts.com. Yes it is more money, but it is made
with much more precision and should last as long as the first one from the factory.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Even the Febi Bilstein (made in China) going for around $80 on e-bay looks to be much better quality than URO. I had the Biltein on (working fine) for a while, then had a rear end noise and thought it was the drive shaft support going bad again so I replaced it with OEM Made in USA Spicer. Rear side of these bearings is open, I packed it with good grade red grease before installation to protect it from water and road dust. The noise was still there, ended up to be my right rear wheel bearing.
Bernard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts