Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of tempted by a C55 for sale with nearly 100k miles

Any advice on it? Are they pretty robust re transmission etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to see the car last week but hated the dealer selling it so they were enough to put me off! The guy pretty much wanted me to buy it before letting me test drive! Yaeh right a seven year old AMG with 97000 miles. Oh yeah, i'll just take it, don't even bother starting the engine!!

Fact was I did start the engine and it seemed to run fine but it needed front discs/rotors and did have a leakey rocker cover too. It had a full MB service record but with very few of the extra items ticked beside each service which wasn't really encouraging. Also the last owner had only had the car 4 or five months. Also a little off putting.

I'm going to keep an eye out for the car going to auction but auction prices are high at the moment so even if I found it, it may not be a great buy (or cheap enough just to take a chance and then spend...)

I did have to try and make my head rule my heart a bit. It sounded amazing!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...If anyone could pick up on this just incase anything further happens with it, there seemed to be dirty oil visible around a coil pack. Where might that be coming from? Could it be a loose spark plug or something maybe? I'd have thought that was above the rocker cover area, but the rocker cover was leaking certainly.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 MBZ SLK32 AMG
212 Posts
I'm sort of tempted by a C55 for sale with nearly 100k miles

Any advice on it? Are they pretty robust re transmission etc?

Thanks
Little electronic things like the oil sensor, secondary air pump, misc bulbs, and little things like that can add up to the maintenance cost of C55 but its worth every penny :cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply

The car was for sale on the forecourt of a big dealer group. Would you believe the salesman really virtually expected me to commit fully before he was willing to let me test drive the car. I left feeling let down and annoyed (just realised i've already said that below)

A shame maybe as it appears the C55 is on the whole quite robust. However, I'm sure most can appreciate it did have a fair few miles on it and obviously not exactly the sort of price range you feel comfortable just "taking a chance" on it. Different altogether if under MB warranty.

I've ended up garaging my R129 Merc SL and because my father hasn't been well, just been using his 2008 Lexus IS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The leaky valve covers are typical. Just buy a Torx socket and tighten them a small SMALL bit. The one breather cover might need a little liquid gasket. I have 240000km on my 05' C55 and the only thing that's ever just broken was the crank position sensor.

I would recommend this car, but I would like to have had an E55 more. I'm 6'4 and the C55 can feel small.

Good luck

·
Registered
e430 4matic
88 Posts
To be fair if I was a dealer I would want the buyer to be fairly committed because i'm sure they get far too many test pilots on a car like that.
I have an 05 C55 with 80k on it and only minor items needed to be taken care of.
The only thing that would concern me is how the car was looked after.
A PPI from someone who knows the C55 is a must.
Good luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No-one should have to in any way feel obliged or committed before driving a car, new or used. If an experienced salesperson had real reason to doubt someones intent then fair enough but I was taking time prior to NOT being offered a test drive to appraise the vehicle. I appreciate what you're saying but you could say that about any car, for example going to a Porsche dealer to drive a demo 997T with no intention to buy. Often (as could well be the case with the C55) the driving of the car may have been the thing that clinched the deal rather than the ill prepared car I was presented with and unable to drive. Having to virtually commit put's the potential customer under unnecessary pressure which in my opinion isn't right. Buying a new car should be a pleasant experience, not a stressful one!

·
Registered
2005 C55 AMG
14 Posts
Just got a C55 with 94K (Km, about 58K mi). Engine area was dry, no oil leaks but brakes needed rotors and pads. I also needed to change the MAF sensor as the car was dying when stopped at the lights. Other than that, it's built to last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts