Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 2 new tires on the front, the problems seems a little better but still there...seems at speeds 80 and above i get a slight shake in the steering wheel and the rear view mirror shakes, seems like to me a stability issue, nothing major but noticable...any thoughts on what could be causing this or a test to diagonose?

thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like a balancing issue. How confident are you that they balanced the new tires properly? My SL is rock solid at 100mph. Makes US-101N from SF seem interesting.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have the wheels inspected. Pothole or curbed would be my guess. My SL55 is so smooth all the way up past 100 MPH. And my tires are already over a year old.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just put 2 new tires on the front, the problems seems a little better but still there...seems at speeds 80 and above i get a slight shake in the steering wheel and the rear view mirror shakes, seems like to me a stability issue, nothing major but noticable...any thoughts on what could be causing this or a test to diagonose?

thx
Find an old school shop that can spin balance the tires on the car,problem solved,or at least,identified.Luck.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Any thoughts on what could be causing this or a test to diagonose?
There is a shock that runs horizontal (contained within) the front suspension. It is called a steering stabilizer shock.

If yours is original, it is shot, usually costing under $50.00, you can get a replacement.

This is a total DIY project. A few wrenchs between 14mm - 19mm and 9/16 - 15/16 are all you need. To change it would only take a half hour.

The way to test it is. Remove it. Extend it all the way out. Making it verticle and putting your hand at the top, push down. If it takes less then two seconds to compress, its shot.

Here is a basic picture of a Mercedes steering stabilizer shock, since you have not filled out your profile, we dont know which one to show you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem as Acemanti. Steering wheel shake after mounting new tires. After a number of rebalances and wheels checked, still having problem. Merc Mech mentioned replacing Steering Stablling shock to fix prob. Where is it on a 2006 sl500? Assume it is somewhere near the steering rack. For a half hour fix, would think it would be exposed and have easy access. Could you provide pictures or more detail for replacing it?

thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have you checked/replaced your engine and transmission mounts lately? A collapsed mount sends vibrations all over the vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts