Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300D and 1985 280SL Euro
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently thought it would be a good idea :eek: to drive from JFK Airport to the lower west side of Manhattan avoiding the highways. Took about three hours. Stop and go, more stop. My temperature gauge, which reliably remains at 85 C, climbed up to 120 C for quite a while, just below the red line. If I turned the motor off, when I restarted the car the temperature would climb right back up. Questions -- how to keep this from happening again? Any possibility of a warped head or other damage? The temp returned to normal once I got out of NYC.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
I'd say you have a faulty fan clutch, or your aux electric fan is not working.

I'd do a coolant service with the correct coolant if it's been a while, and replace the thermostat. Cheap insurance.

Make sure the radiator is not gunked up, too. Old high mileage car, if it's the original, it could need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1983 240d AT1993 e320 AT
2,270 Posts
I'd say you have a faulty fan clutch, or your aux electric fan is not working.

I'd do a coolant service with the correct coolant if it's been a while, and replace the thermostat. Cheap insurance.

Make sure the radiator is not gunked up, too. Old high mileage car, if it's the original, it could need a good cleaning.
+1 to this. In addition, better check your thermostat too.

·
Registered
1983 300D Euro Model
146 Posts
Are the thermostats on the non-turbo Euro 300D's the same as the US turbo ones?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts