1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 420 SEL
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Duplicate posting this evening in 126 forum]

Hey all,

I've got newer Toyos (100K all-season tires) all 'round, 2 week old front end alignment, and local W. coast regional tire store Les Schwab has 3x now checked/adjusted WHEEL WEIGHTS, making minor changes ea. time. STILL GET A SHIMMY/MINOR SHUDDER running "through" the car at >60mph speeds.

Any thoughts on what to tell these guys? Is it possible there's somethinge OTHER than wheel balance?

Thanx in advance for your thoughts...

·
Registered
1995 MB S320V: 2006 kawasaki vulcan 900 lt
417 Posts
shimmy

420:
I have read a nember of threads re: shimmy. In some cases it was handled by going to michelin tires, I have Michelin pilots on mine. Other people have had to replace the rubber grommets in the rear suspension, apparently after many miles it gets too loose and causes poor handling and shimmy.
Barry

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
could be many things .... your first stop should be a shop with a GSP9700 hunter balancer ...

could be many things .... your first stop should be a shop with a GSP9700 hunter balancer ... it has a feature which will be able to determine if your problem is wheel or tire related called load force variation testing

·
Registered
97 e420, 81 240d
9 Posts
I have the same problem. I have Micheling Pilot on an 81 240d. I had the tires rotated a...

I have the same problem. I have Micheling Pilot on an 81 240d. I had the tires rotated and balanced after 50k and between 60-70 mph, depending on the road I get a vibration thru the steering wheel. Discount tires used a road force balancer on the tires and said they were fine but they told me there was some excess play in the steering so I tightened the steering box. That removed some of it in the steering wheel. I have a 97 e420 and its vibrates a bit as well at similar speeds so I conclude that as it gets colder out, pavement shrinks and ripples cauing more road vibrations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts