Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making another trip from Tucson to LA next week in my 85 Turbodiesel with 130K.

I just put new Pirellis on, had them load balanced by Discount Tire, and still have a 80 mph vibration in the front end.

Took it to a shop in TSN (Stuttgart Autohaus) this week. They said probably the right front wheel bearings, which they replaced for $250. RIP OFF!! Never go there!! Didn't help.

It's not horrible, just annoying.

Any suggestions on a DYI or inexpensive repair this weekend would be appreciated.

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
i have the same thing with brand new tires and wheel bearings i set to spec myself. i have no real clues. some shops have bad wheel balance machines, so it might be way off, but thats unlikely. i myself didnt exactly follow the bearing spec since i thought looser would be safer than preloaded. i have about .0015-.002" play in both. thats also not likely to cause what im feeling.

if the rear end sags on your car it will change the camber on the front wheels and make them wear on the outside with acceleration, but this takes alot of miles if the problem is small. same thing goes for if you carry alot of weight.

i know alot of my suspension needs replacing since all my grease boots are cut and old so im starting there, along with shocks. but then if i change a million things at once ill have no clue what fixed it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biting the bullet

After much discussion and hassle, I am taking it to a small indie for ball joints and tie rod ends.

Dealer wanted $600 to do just the BJ, a larger indie wanted $450 for just a BJ. I found a one man shop to do it all for $300. Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Yes. Those prices for a BJ are ridiculous.

I have to stop my self from making a smart ass comment.

But yes $300 is more reasonable. It's all of like 12 bolts per bj (including 5 for the wheels).

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,692 Posts
Be leery of shade tree mechanics!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shade tree mechanics

Thanks for the advice. This guy doesn't even have a big hydraulic lift, just one on wheels, but he has given me some good free advice and is very religious (Jehovas Witness). The most popular indie in town (Stuttgart Auto) ripped me off, so I will give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts