Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet more joy with the sodding vito :mad:

110cdi 2003 auto panel van.

finally after much aggro with limp mode, leaky injectors, a rebuilt gearbox, knackered suspension, non starting etc i finally had the vito running perfectly....

for 2 weeks... then on monday, i got a call from my foreman to say that the van stinks of diesel and smokes coming from under the bonnet. had another employee bring it back to the yard (80 miles from site) only for it to breakdown halfway back. got pulled in by the AA and started the investigation:

diesel pissing out from the side of the block, took the top mount and various pipes off, leak is coming from the high pressure pump.

remove pump and strip down, find an oring that is buggered. replace all orings, clean up and refit. no leaks and she starts... woohoo. problem solved. or so i thought.

took it for a spin, get 100yards down the road and give it a good dose of throttle and it dies again.

will restart after approx 30 secs but not immediately. the EDC light comes on after the cut out.

no leaks anywhere, fuel lines are air free, its just had 4 new injectors and seals. pressure regulator is fine.

after much faffing i phone my uncle who owns an engine reconditioners, he says that the ecu has stored the faukt code from when the pump leaked (when the van died on way back from site) and that it has to be removed with a diagnostics machine. Is this right?

i removed the battery for an hour today and thought this would reset the ecu?

am i heading in the right direction??

cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You must verify the high pressure pump at a Bosch car service, or buy and fit the reparation kit. I had this kind of problem on my Vito, the engine died on the road and EDC light on. I changed the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pressure valve, lines, filter, etc., etc.
Finally, it was the high pressure pump. I changed it, and no problems since then.
I hope it helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi got a 110 cdi vito t reg it died today lack of fuel after filling up .so changed fuel filter and bleed filter for 2 hours on and off still lots of air in line and will start but stops arter a sort time due to lack of fuel due to air. is there any thing to check.

·
Registered
33 Posts
problem with working on hp pump on common rail is any dirt even a tiny amount can go through and clog block injectors eg dirt being biggest curse of common rail due to tight tolerances .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts