Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an odd problem with my 1999 SLK 230 that just started a couple days ago, I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what the problem is. The problem is that when the heat fan is turned off, there is a one to two second faint high pitch hissing noise. If the fan is off while driving around, it will randomly start making the same hissing noise (for varying lengths of time, sometimes for a pretty long time).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The sound goes away if the heat/air is on, but whenever it is off I periodically hear the sound.

Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Best suggestion I have is to open the hood and see if there is anything obvious. If you don't see anything have someone recreate the problem while you are looking under the hood.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Leak in the air or vacuum lines controlling the dampers.

Or a leak in the diaphragm valve on the damper door.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AMPM - 4/1/2005 11:17 AM

Leak in the air or vacuum lines controlling the dampers.

Or a leak in the diaphragm valve on the damper door.

My 2 cents.
Thanks...do you have any thoughts on how much I should expect to pay to fix this? I may bring it into the dealer, but I like to be informed before I do so that I don't get ripped off. I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
I do not know how much it will cost.

You could pull the climate control unit out and look behind it the lines are right there. Console panel and 4 screws.

Or pull the radio and look / listen in there

If it is the climate control unit they are about 900.00.

MB charges like 95.00 per hour and the cheapest thing is an oil change at around 500.00.[;)]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts