Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 210 with 131,000 miles. It's had regular maintenance and the only major replacements were the cats. I would like advice as to what things I should replace to either improve driveability or prevent a breakdown, etc.

The shocks are original and the car still seems to drive responsively, but at over 130k shouldn't these be replaced regardless (I did a search but could find nothing definitive here)?

What about the water pump? I used to have a 1988 M5 and had the engine rebuilt at 163,000 miles. A week after I got it back, the water pump goes (middle of the night in the middle of nowhere). I don't want to repeat that experience.

Anything else that I should be thinking about? I will be keeping this car forever.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Regular maintenance is fine. IMO, that is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Necessarily...

If you are thinking about doing something, I'd suggest new O2 sensors in case they have not been changed.

AND the big one: transmission fluid!!!

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
+1 on the tranny fluid/filter. other than that just drive the car. i wouldn;t touch the o2 sensors, the car will tell you when needs to be changed. same for shocks, w210 seems to have pretty good shocks, i have over 210k miles on mine and still ride fine.
funny you mention bmw cooling system, very recently was discussed in here:D

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Spark plugs are advised at 5 years or 100,000 whichever occurs first. 02 sensors at 100,000 has been advised too. But I would not worry about about either of those as much as the transmission service. Regular maintenance if done by a dealer would have probably included what I and the others have mentioned.

·
Registered
gotta catch em all
34 Posts
Maybe some pulleys? Idler pulley, Accessory Belt Tensioner Assembly and harmonic balancer have some plastic parts.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
I never PM the spark plugs at 5 yrs, just take the 100K as guide line for replacement or you start to have misfire cylinders code. that will be the time to check your spark plugs for gap or carbon deposits.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I drive HIGH MILEAGE vehicles (over 200k) and per my experience it is more time factor than the mileage that makes for the necessary repairs.
While the spark plugs and O2 sensors wear out with mileage, lot of orings and seals are giving up at about 10 years of age.
I had plastic impeller failure on my water pump, but Mercedes seals on pumps seem to last for the life of the car.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I would have the front end ball joints check - if they are worn that will return "driveability".

Tranny service with original MB fluid (not the new "backwards capatible" fluid) - the tranny is your weakest link. Service should also replace the tranny connector.

Accessory belt tensioner should be replaced proactively to prevent future breakdown - it was superceded by improved part.

Order a MB brake light switch and carry it in the car if you want to replace later if it fails (a $15 - $20 part) to prevent a tranny lock out.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
OEM shocks have extremely long life. i would say 150K miles as maximum life (fronts should be changed first) water pump, you simply change when it begins to leak or you hear the bearings get noisy. Definitely Do use factory replacement parts for these items (Bilstein and BEHR)

cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great tips--especially regarding the transmission (I had to have this rebuilt at around 60,000 and was still under warranty). I have had this cars for 12 years and it still looks new--no dings, no interior wear, paint is great. It is hard to justify spending $60,000 for a new E when this one is still so good. I still can't believe that the shocks last so long!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Odd...:rolleyes: I contacted both Merc Dealer Service Depts here in Orlando today and they both told me the same thing. The trans in my '01 E430 is not a "service item." I'm being told that the fluid used is lifetime fluid. I was told to, pretty much, drive it as is until the tranny dies. They wouldn't even shoot me a quote to get the work done. The reason I even went down this road is because, when I replaced my rad yesterday (I had to remove the tranny cooling lines), I noticed the fluid was in bad shape. R2 on the rad was a breeze.:thumbsup:

>Forgot to add, Our car is just north of 140K.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Depending on your mileage on the car the "old school" thinking is if you have over 12%K-130K and haven't had problems, that keeping the level up and with no problems the dealers don't want to do the service, and if your tranny fails soon they don't want to risk you coming back at them for the inevitable tranny failure.

Personally, as long as you use the correct original fluid (not the newer "backwards compatible") even if you are at high mileage, and do either pan-pull or full-exchange with surgical attention to detail - you will not add damage to your tranny, and most likely extend it's usable life.

The dealers are protecting their own arse - and "sealed for life" was rescinded long-long ago - practicality and their liability is another thing.

Keep the faith !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts