Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idle used to go up really high sometimes when i turn the the engine on. Sometimes it would fire up to 1200 and then sit there for a few seconds and slowly rise up. Sometimes it would go right up to 2000. I could never find out what the problem was.

Turns out it is the microswitch at the throttle linkage. No it was not broken or anything. It was just oily. I could always bring my idle back down by pressing the little button behidn the little wheel and it makes a "tic" sound and the idle drops down. But it would never do this when i fire the engine up right away. There is a 6mm bolt holding the microswitch in place and when i took it off, i noticed it was very oily. I took the connector out and cleaned it and cleaned the connections dry. After i put it in, my high idle was gone. The oil was shorting the connection basically.

Also when you put it back in, the little wheel has to be resting against the little piece that makes a click when you touch it. It has to be clicked in so when you press gas, it will click out and your idle should be fine.

I know there is many things that can go wrong with the idle and after i rebuild my engine i figured it was something big. Turns out it was easier than i thought. Just though i would share this, in case some have this problem.

·
Registered
300SL-24 1992 White;BMW X3-3.0 E83 2005 Blue;190E-2.6 1992(sold); BMW 316-1.8 E30 1983(sold)
227 Posts
My idle used to go up really high sometimes when i turn the the engine on. Sometimes it would fire up to 1200 and then sit there for a few seconds and slowly rise up. Sometimes it would go right up to 2000. I could never find out what the problem was.

Turns out it is the microswitch at the throttle linkage. ...
Thanks sranjesuper:bowdown:, under his instruction I also fixed my R129 M104 high idle problem.:) I put a cilp to help the linkage to click the throttle position switch. Please refer the picture attached.:thumbsup:
Hope this helpful.

morriswu

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sranjesuper:bowdown:, under his instruction I also fixed my R129 M104 high idle problem.:) I put a cilp to help the linkage to click the throttle position switch. Please refer the picture attached.:thumbsup:
Help this helpful.

morriswu
good job you found the issue! this thread is old and it was actually the same problem as you, not the oil on the microswitch btw.. it was too much space between the bracket and the microswitch... I had to put something in to make the space smaller... i wrapped some mechanic wire around that bracket piece and it touches now.. you can adjust the linkage with a small screw near the bottom of the throttle body, although it is very hard to access almost impossible.. so putting a clip like you or mechanic wire is the easy way and will fix the problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
high idle fix

i have d same problem sometime back n it has given a big headache figuring out what was wrong ??one mechanic told me it d fuel divider that is causing d high idle .i was lucky that i took it for a second opinion n later by accident it was found out it was d micro switch was loose .fixed it back n i do not have d problem of your high idling anyway thanks for d info:):):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts