Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S550's Instrument Cluster produces this extremely annoying high (very high) frequency noise that I for some reason can hear. It is the type of noise that some people can't even hear (my wife can't), and I can hear it over anything even loud music because it is so high pitch. It is definitely coming from the IC because when you sit in the car with the engine off and after a minute or so the IC goes off, the noise stops. The problem is that it's ALWAYS ON when driving the car. It is making me crazy! I'm hoping so much that maybe it will be fixed by the IC update. Any one have this issue?

John

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Probably the high voltage switcher for the LCD illumination. The problem would go away when you get older, people loose their capability to hear high frequencies. If you don't want to wait that long, perhaps a dealer could have a look at it but they would not fix your current cluster but would swap a new one in, quite expensive.

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably the high voltage switcher for the LCD illumination. The problem would go away when you get older, people loose their capability to hear high frequencies. If you don't want to wait that long, perhaps a dealer could have a look at it but they would not fix your current cluster but would swap a new one in, quite expensive.
Ahhh, that's a shame, was hoping it would be an easier fix.

But I am still pretty amazed how you could answer that telling me the exact problematic part! How do you know this stuff so well!?

I know this isn't WebMD, but anyone know if this constant high frequency noise could damage my hearing?

It seems I'm going to just troop it out, because knowing Merc, a new cluster will be in the thousands, not something I am ready to spend. I have a very early 07 car (3/06 delivery date), i guess this is an early kink or just due to wear on the part?

I have noticed some funny little glitches on the car due to the fact it is so early: they forgot to put a valet lock in the truck, no iPod Aux (my 03 S430 had one), the constant "dont forget key" chime etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I was younger, I used to be able to hear the high pitched noise from every computer monitor & TV (CRT) on the planet. Even when Plasma 1st came out, same problem. Fortunately now that I'm older, don't hear it at all - but my kid complains about the noise. Get your wife to moan at you a bit each night in alternate ears, and you will be surprised at how quickly you will go just deaf enough not to hear this high pitched noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts