Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 C240 and I want to put HIDs in it, but I don't know what kind to use because I have heard so many people say that some can melt the headlight cover. I have seen a kit specifically for my car but it was $600. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi, try to contact this guy, he has a shop in Pasadena, his number#626-795-5555, tell him stanley tell you about this.. ask for Ari.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, try to contact this guy, he has a shop in Pasadena, his number#626-795-5555, tell him stanley tell you about this.. ask for Ari.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way to go if you want HIDs that are legal to drive with on the streets is to get the Mercedes kit. The Mercedes kit includes reflectors and lenses that are made for HID's. These are DOT approved. The kits you often see online for $500-$750 are HID lamps which are attached to Halogen mounting fixtures. If you use these in an enclosure built for Halogen lamps, it is not considered DOT approved anymore and you can get a ticket for driving with them. <br> <br> It would seem that the official Mercedes kit is the way to go. However, they sell that kit for something like $1000-1600. If you want to upgrade those HID's from Stage 1 (4500K)to Stage II (6000K), you'll probably be voiding the DOT approval again. <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even if you get the oem HID kit from mercedes and you have it installed by a mercedes dealership, it is technically still illegal. it is my understanding that HIDs must be factory installed.<br> <br> having said that, i'd still recommend the oem kits despite their additional cost b/c of the reasons listed by cryptnotic.<br> <br> final caveat, someone mentioned that his dealership still refused to install the oem hids kit. so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, that's not true...

It's the lights themselves which are tested and approved by the DOT, so if you get the MB OEM lights, they are absolutely street legal. Using a conversion kit which simply replaces the halogen bulb with a HID Xenon bulb is what is illegal, simply because the DOT has not tested the combination and the halogen reflector will throw all sort of stray light everywhere, causing glare.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i don't have a specific reference

i was told this when i was looking to get my hids upgrade... if i can find a specific reference for this i will post it here. but i do believe that in the US, hids are technically legal only if factory installed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, they're not...

Again, it's the lights that have to be tested. That's why Sylvania/Osram can legally sell HID Xenon headlamps for the Ford Expedition and Ford F150. These are specially designed replacement headlamp assemblies that have been tested by the US DOT. These are obviously not (Ford) factory installed. The legality is even specifically mentioned on the Sylvania/Osram homepage. See the links below:<br> <br> <a href='http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm'>http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm</a><br> <br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts