1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C180
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hej there

I have a problem

Ok I have a Mercedes C180 1996 (w 202) model, so when I turn the steering wheel on the left or the right side I can hear a noise coming from the engine so I think I run out of the hidraulic oil for the steering wheel. I opened it and it was reading 20 C min and 80 C max. It was on the 20 C min. So I think I should put some oil there. I went to buy ATF hidraulic oil and there were two diferent types. One was ''DEXRON III'' and the other one ''TYPE G''. The guy who sels the oil in the shop told me that they are diferent and that I should ask some mechanic about which oil should I put there. I tried to read the manual book of the car but it is on Swedish so I cant understand anything.

So please some of you if you can help me.

Which oil should I put and should I refill it to max or ?

Should the noise disapear then ?

P.S. Also the noise comes when I drive the vehicle but not when the vehicle stands on one place even if I press the gas.

Thank you all !!

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
Use only this...

Hej there

I have a problem

Ok I have a Mercedes C180 1996 (w 202) model, so when I turn the steering wheel on the left or the right side I can hear a noise coming from the engine so I think I run out of the hidraulic oil for the steering wheel. I opened it and it was reading 20 C min and 80 C max. It was on the 20 C min. So I think I should put some oil there. I went to buy ATF hidraulic oil and there were two diferent types. One was ''DEXRON III'' and the other one ''TYPE G''. The guy who sels the oil in the shop told me that they are diferent and that I should ask some mechanic about which oil should I put there. I tried to read the manual book of the car but it is on Swedish so I cant understand anything.

So please some of you if you can help me.

Which oil should I put and should I refill it to max or ?

Should the noise disapear then ?

P.S. Also the noise comes when I drive the vehicle but not when the vehicle stands on one place even if I press the gas.

Thank you all !!
When you get some benz fluid (go to local dealership or purchase online) put only an ounce in at a time, run the engine then check again. It might be a good idea to look at the hydraulic fittings for the steering system to see if there are any obvious leaks. B

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C180
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that I can not use the Dexron III that I just bought.

On the back of the Dexron III its writen that is also for the models MB 236.1 and MB 236.9

I dont have an official Mercedes shop near there is no place near where I can find this what you have show me on the picture

Is there any other way ?

Will Dexron III damage the system if I use it ??

Or how can I order that Mercedes oil on the net ?

Thanx! Respect!

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what ive experienced and read the best way to go is to buy the mercedes benz fluid. Im not sure if Dexron III will do any damage but why risk it? 'Cheap Insurance' as they say. (Picked that up on here :D)

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
you need MB spec 236.3 - Source- Mobil netlube ("refer to dealer") MB part no.000 989 8803 is what you want

My indep. Benz dealer sells Febi bilstein hydraulic fluid ZHM which is suitable for early and later W202

I wouldn't use the Dexron III unless it meets spec 236.3

You may be able to find other lubricants that meet this requirement.

See also the thread " power steering" just under this one

Oberoi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts