Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had to share this one...

A customer brought a BEAUTIFUL 1987 560SL in to my restoration shop (garage kept), and I started wet sanding and buffing it. I thought it was beautiful to start, but look what was hiding underneath 24 years of garage-kept paint!!!!

(sanding with 2000 grit mirror sandpaper, buffing with cutting compound, then polishing with grey compound).

Here is just a sample so far.....

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I showed these pictures of the hood to the owner, and he wants to do the whole car now :) :)
Yeah I bet he does!!! lol.

Can you go in more detail on the process? I assume you're wet sanding?

If I have had a few panels repainted, is the process the same for newer type paint as well?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,620 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Really nice transformation. Cost him less than new paint and if he keeps it protected will probably last a life time. At least his life time.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Actually, that is probably single-stage urethane paint (the clear part is built into the color). The only tricky thing about this is that the color and shine MAY tend to vary with paint thickness on single-stage paint, because the clear part wants to go to the top of the layer and the color part wants to sink when it is drying.

Also, when buffing out a car that is RED with single-stage or enamel/lacquer paint, red paint fades in the sun, supposedly, cheaper paint is more susceptible to this but they all do it to some degree. So, if you buff a red car that's been in the sun a lot, areas where you take a lot off might tend to be darker.

Metallic colors are done in basecoat/clearcoat and are much more tolerant of buffing - until you run out of clearcoat to buff! Then, it's disastrous :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I bet he does!!! lol.

Can you go in more detail on the process? I assume you're wet sanding?

If I have had a few panels repainted, is the process the same for newer type paint as well?
Sure thing! Thank you everyone for the kind words!!!! I have to finish this car in the next few days, so as soon as I'm done, I'll be sure to re-post with lots of steps and pictures.

What I've done so far:
1) I used 2000-grit wet-sand paper, a soft wet-sanding block, lots of water, and sanded until it was very cloudy.
2) Then, I took my buffer, loaded it with a wool pad, put pink cutting compound on, and buffed until it shined.
3) Once it shined, I got out my black buffing pad, loaded it with grey polishing compound, and buffed until there were no swirl marks.

What you see in the pictures doesn't even have wax on it! It will shine even more :)

Next on the car (in the next few days):
I'm also repairing rust on the rocker panels & repainting, putting on a new convertible top, repairing gouges on the convertible top cover, repairing the 3rd brake light, replacing the rear bumper end, re-pinstriping the car, and refurbishing the wheels.

I'll do my best to post the progress.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I was prepared to paint my red -86 560SL. Luckily the paint shop personel suggest first to restore the original MB paint work - and it works!

I was really amazed how thick and high quality is the W107 factory paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Sure thing! Thank you everyone for the kind words!!!! I have to finish this car in the next few days, so as soon as I'm done, I'll be sure to re-post with lots of steps and pictures.

What I've done so far:
1) I used 2000-grit wet-sand paper, a soft wet-sanding block, lots of water, and sanded until it was very cloudy.
2) Then, I took my buffer, loaded it with a wool pad, put pink cutting compound on, and buffed until it shined.
3) Once it shined, I got out my black buffing pad, loaded it with grey polishing compound, and buffed until there were no swirl marks.

What you see in the pictures doesn't even have wax on it! It will shine even more :)

Next on the car (in the next few days):
I'm also repairing rust on the rocker panels & repainting, putting on a new convertible top, repairing gouges on the convertible top cover, repairing the 3rd brake light, replacing the rear bumper end, re-pinstriping the car, and refurbishing the wheels.

I'll do my best to post the progress.
Wanna do mine next?? Please..:) Seriously it looks awesome..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts