Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a few days after I bought my '87 560 SEL that I opened the ashtray for the first time and discovered a built-in radar detector. It's hardwired in, all the lights function, but it doesn't work. The brand- or model- name is "SS", (there are no other visible names on the unit. It's an exact fit in the ashtray, as though it were designed for it. Does anyone have any information on these units, particularly information on their wiring and the location of the radar sensor(s). If possible, I'd also like to know how it rates vs. other detectors. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It was a few days after I bought my '87 560 SEL that I opened the ashtray for the first time and discovered a built-in radar detector. It's hardwired in, all the lights function, but it doesn't work. The brand- or model- name is "SS", (there are no other visible names on the unit. It's an exact fit in the ashtray, as though it were designed for it. Does anyone have any information on these units, particularly information on their wiring and the location of the radar sensor(s). If possible, I'd also like to know how it rates vs. other detectors. Anyone?
If I had my 28 year Car & Driver library close by, I'd likely be able to tell ya from the ads in the back, but all that stuff is in storage for the time being.

Regardless, being the age it likely is, you won't be able to detect anything but X and K-band, which is pretty much worthless. Ka is a killer, and has become ultra-common.

The nice thing is a Valentine 1 fits above the mirror, perfectly. If you need 'dark mode', just flip down the center sun visor...though you lose rear detection. This is more of a CYA kinda thing, not to actually use it that way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had my 28 year Car & Driver library close by, I'd likely be able to tell ya from the ads in the back, but all that stuff is in storage for the time being.

Regardless, being the age it likely is, you won't be able to detect anything but X and K-band, which is pretty much worthless. Ka is a killer, and has become ultra-common.

The nice thing is a Valentine 1 fits above the mirror, perfectly. If you need 'dark mode', just flip down the center sun visor...though you lose rear detection. This is more of a CYA kinda thing, not to actually use it that way.
I've got a perfectly good detector; I simply want information about the built-in one in my car.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I've got one of those in my 89 SEC and my 86 AMG...they do more harm then good @ this point..gives my V1 false signals from time to time!

Jonathan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have any genuine information other than comments? I'm really not interested in whether you think it a good detector or not; I'm interested in specific information about this particular detector. If you don't have any information, please stop wasting my time and yours.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
got any pictures of it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts