Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300sl 1987
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I removed the climate control console for the wood restoration I am doing and I saw a black box reading:

'BOSCH crash sensor'

Could it be my 107 had once an airbag and the installation is all there? or have I got the wrong end of the stick and all 107's have that and it is used for...?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Could it be my 107 had once an airbag and the installation is all there? or have I got the wrong end of the stick and all 107's have that and it is used for...?
And 87 could have had an airbag. There would only be one, in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
300sl 1987
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is that the steering wheel has no airbag. Maybe it was replaced or God knows why.

Maybe the airbag went off and it was not replaced by a new one, though can´t see no collision evidence anywhere.

Was looking for clues of what extra components should I look for and where should they be if the airbag installation is indeed there...

Mistery...

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,243 Posts
"Crash Sensor" is German for "Do not remove the climate control console for wood restoration."

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The thing is that the steering wheel has no airbag. Maybe it was replaced or God knows why.

Maybe the airbag went off and it was not replaced by a new one, though can´t see no collision evidence anywhere.

Was looking for clues of what extra components should I look for and where should they be if the airbag installation is indeed there...

Mistery...
Being a Euro/ROTW vehicle, perhaps they installed the airbag circuitry in anticipation of new laws? Or was the airbag required at the point of import in 1987?

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Being a Euro/ROTW vehicle, perhaps they installed the airbag circuitry in anticipation of new laws? Or was the airbag required at the point of import in 1987?
I think the sensor controls the airbag AND the pyrotechnics for the seat belt lock-up mechanism - in a crash, these things fire off and lock the seatbelts in place. So, even if you don't have an airbag, you may have one of these.

·
Registered
300sl 1987
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. I will do some more investigation with the reference numbers.

If anybody removes the center console take a look and let me know if you also have one!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
If anybody removes the center console take a look and let me know if you also have one!
My 78 doesn't, but airbags weren't available in 78 so that's expected.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,944 Posts
These are the pictures for the 86 (red) and 88 (black) 560SL. Note where the steering wheel mounts there is a redundant set of brushes at the bottom of the steering wheel mounting area. If you have these brushes then all you should need is a 560SL wheel.

Please be careful installing an airbag because you never know why it was removed if it did have one.

Also remember along with a 560SL wheel with airbag comes ugliness.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts