Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I instal a HID xénon on my mercedes 240 D 1984?
if it's possible can you tell me wich xénon's model is compatible with my car and
a procedure of installation
thank you

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think plain 'no' is a better answer. HID lights are more than just a bulb upgrade. In modern cars, they have special reflectors and lenses that are designed for use with these lights. I think almost all utilize a projector type of a lense to focus the beam correctly.

Installing them in conventional H4 assemblies is not fair to the rest of us. You can aim them as much as you want and they're not going to be right, because the light beam the bulb itself emits is different from that of a conventional halogen lamp.

The other thing is that since the headlights are not designed for the HID bulbs, installing them isn't really much of an upgrade. Some people feel that the different color light is beneficial at night, and maybe to some eyes that's the case. A friend of mine got a set for his Audi, and we did a comparison. On the low beams, the Mercedes with 55W H4 bulbs had a superior beam pattern, and was somewhat brighter.

The H4 European headlights are more than sufficient. If you have them and they are not working well, then either the lenses are dirty (maybe even on the inside) or the reflector surface has gotten dirty. Cleaning the reflectors is difficult to do without damage. New ones are available, and even the knock off Depo lights are quite good compared with the stock US set up, at least.

Where I live, blue or purple headlights on an old car will get you a ticket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think plain 'no' is a better answer. HID lights are more than just a bulb upgrade. In modern cars, they have special reflectors and lenses that are designed for use with these lights. I think almost all utilize a projector type of a lense to focus the beam correctly.

Installing them in conventional H4 assemblies is not fair to the rest of us. You can aim them as much as you want and they're not going to be right, because the light beam the bulb itself emits is different from that of a conventional halogen lamp.

The other thing is that since the headlights are not designed for the HID bulbs, installing them isn't really much of an upgrade. Some people feel that the different color light is beneficial at night, and maybe to some eyes that's the case. A friend of mine got a set for his Audi, and we did a comparison. On the low beams, the Mercedes with 55W H4 bulbs had a superior beam pattern, and was somewhat brighter.

The H4 European headlights are more than sufficient. If you have them and they are not working well, then either the lenses are dirty (maybe even on the inside) or the reflector surface has gotten dirty. Cleaning the reflectors is difficult to do without damage. New ones are available, and even the knock off Depo lights are quite good compared with the stock US set up, at least.

Where I live, blue or purple headlights on an old car will get you a ticket.
thanks for you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts