Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search but with no luck:confused:.I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket Hid kit for my 04 e320.It is a canadian vehicle with DRL's that come on once the car is started and cannot be switched off.I was wondering whether anyone has installed these kits with DRLS on all the time.Also would I have to go to the dealer to have the xenon option turned on or is there a way to bypass this.TIA

·
Banned
2006 E320 CDI
932 Posts
I've done a search but with no luck:confused:.I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket Hid kit for my 04 e320.It is a canadian vehicle with DRL's that come on once the car is started and cannot be switched off.I was wondering whether anyone has installed these kits with DRLS on all the time.Also would I have to go to the dealer to have the xenon option turned on or is there a way to bypass this.TIA
DRL it is not a problem, it will only shorten the life of the bulb. No need to have Xenon option turn on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DRL it is not a problem, it will only shorten the life of the bulb. No need to have Xenon option turn on.
thanks for the help with the quick reply :D
hopefully the xenons will work without the drls causing problems.
I'll probably be picking up one of the mtec kits as i've I read it's pretty much made to fit the car.Any other tips would be greatly appreciated thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
07 E350 4Matic w/P1 & Sport Pkg
246 Posts
...I'll probably be picking up one of the mtec kits as i've I read it's pretty much made to fit the car.Any other tips would be greatly appreciated thanks guys :thumbsup:
Spending that kinda dough isn't necessary. I've purchased 3 kits from HIDExtra.com and am totally satisfied (HID Extra kits were from $45 to $65: big $ difference). I'm sure there are other companies like them too.

Look at photos of all the kits...they're all pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
I got an MTEC kit from ebay. Awesome product, very reliable and it was affordable too.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Buy a $40 kit from HIDGATE at ebay, make sure to specify that you need a capacitor for Mercedes dash error. I recommend the 5000 rating, others look childlish. This kit works fine with little mods(drill a hole in the plastic cover provided for the grommet).

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Hmmm...jury is still out on HIDExtra.com

... I've purchased 3 kits from HIDExtra.com and am totally satisfied.....
My experience with HIDExtra.com is yet to be determined. I bought two kits from them...a 3000K kit, H11 bulbs, for my fog lights, and a 5000K kit, H7 bulbs for my low beams. Both kits were $59 ($119.98 total), and I should mentioned that both kits came with capacitors that plug inline. The capacitors are meant ensure that a constant voltage is delivered to the ballasts...and to prevent error codes.

The fog kit went in without a hitch, and is working great. The low beam however....that's another story. Installation was pretty tricky due to two main obstacles. First, it's quite a tight fit to get my big mitts in that small space to position the bulb, etc. Temporarily re-positioning the coolant overflow tank certainly helps on the left side light, but it's still a tough go). Second problem was due to the fact that they did not include the metal bulb retainer clips on the pre-wired bulb assembly. This retainer clip is needed to hold the bulb in the light housing, and the only way to get the clips on these pre-wired HID bulbs, is to either cut the wires, or cut the metal clip (the option I chose) because the connectors on the pre-wired bulb assembly are simply too big to fit through the opening on this clip. As mentioned, I ended up cutting the clip, so I could slip the wires in. However, I believe cutting this clip affects how securely it holds the bulb in place, and to that end, it would sure be nice if the pre-wired HID bulb assemblies would come with this clip already installed.

Immediately upon powering up the low beams, I noticed that the low beam lights were sort of dancing around a bit...slowly moving left to right, and up and down. This was occurring on both sides. Additionally, I noticed that the light from one side was much blue'er than the other side. one side was nearly white, other side was quite noticeably blue. Both bulbs were supposed to be 5000K, so perhaps a mix-up occurred when packaging...I dunno. Anyway, I swapped ballasts (left to right) and it made no difference (beams still moving back and forth). I checked my voltages at the capacitors and got 12.3V with car off, and 12.8 volts with car running...so there did not seem to be an issue with low voltage. I then swapped ballasts with my fog kit, and the lights worked fine (although the color of the two low beam bulbs was still quite noticeably different) , so I concluded that both of the low beam ballasts were defective.

I contacted HIDExtra.com and Karen emailed me a copy of their "Warranty of defective parts" policy. The policy basically requires you to destroy the defective parts (by cutting the wires and/or filaments on the bulbs), taking photos of the destroyed parts, and emailing the pictures back to them. After which, they will send replacement parts. So, that's where things stand at the moment....waiting for my replacement parts. I'll report as soon as I hear/receive something.

Bottom-line...the jury is still out in my mind on HIDExtra.com. I'm hopeful that they will make things right. In the end, I think most of the aftermarket HID components sold today are fairly low quality items (read: mass produced foreign-made junk). Some people luck out and get good components, while others may not...and it seems it may have little to do with the actual reseller. Unfortunately, we as customers, and they as resellers, are left holding the bag. Fingers crossed that HIDExtra.com makes good, and this all ends well.

Until later, TJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
For what it's worth, I had very bad luck with HID lights in my 3006 E 320 CDI. I'm sure if you search around you can find the whole sordid story. My conclusion is it's not worth all the expense and trouble. Sad, too, because my other cars have factory HID lights and the illumination is much, much better.

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
For what it's worth, I had very bad luck with HID lights in my 3006 E 320 CDI.
Damn bro, you got the 3006 E320? :eek: Does it hover or run on Uranium? Whats its 0-600MPH speed? :bowdown: Just kiddin

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
For what it's worth, I had very bad luck with HID lights in my 2006 E 320 CDI. I'm sure if you search around you can find the whole sordid story. My conclusion is it's not worth all the expense and trouble. Sad, too, because my other cars have factory HID lights and the illumination is much, much better.
Couldn't agree more. What's really sad, is the low quality of the HID components that has flooded the marketplace. This ain't rocket science, but when's there's over 600% markup to be had, the competition will be (and is) fierce.

HIDExtra.com contacted me yesterday, and are sending replacement components. Fingers crossed that I get lucky. At least my fogs are blazingly bright now. Cheers, TJ

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had good luck with the kits from DDM Tuning, the set in my Denali is two years old, the E320 set is only 4 months old but works fine and was easy to install.

Dan

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
They were my second choice...and in hindsight, I wish I'd of gone the DDM route for three reasons.
  • They offer a lifetime warranty on their new "bulletproof" Apexcone Raptor HID kit
  • Their capacitors are completely sealed (weather/water proof) unlike HIDExteas (which only have a heat shrink covering)
  • They're cheaper ($40 for the kit, versus $59 from HIDExtra).
Oh well...you know what they say about hind-sight, eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts