Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
What do you guys think of this MTEC kit? It states that it is actually made for the E class. What do you think? I'm thinking of purchasing it.

eBay Motors: MTEC HID KITS FOR MERCEDES BENZ W211 E CLASS 2003~2007 (item 250110389250 end time May-07-07 20:26:40 PDT)

That's way over priced for after-market HID.
The only reason it "fit" w/o modification is the ballast has larger capacity of capacitor that boots input volt to 32V range vs regular 16V.

If you have no problem installing after-market HID, just add little $10 capacitor and it will work like a charm as well.
You can read the diagram how to add capacitor to your power here.
(Allen did the detail instruction on the installation part, I drew that little cute diagram. :) )
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models - MBWorld.org Forums

I have been using cheap HID kit ($130 shipped one) w/out STAR-modification for months now...and not a single problem.
NOPE, I do NOT need to go to the dealer to re-program to any Xenon present.!!!!!!

And the beauty of non-reprogramming is...WHENEVER I feel like going back to regular bulb, I can do that in 5 min.
(not that I want to do that, but suppose few years down the load, one of my HID need to be replaced and I have to wait for my item to arrived.)

P.S. if you want true performance stay w/ 4300K.
6000K is bit bluish...
if you can get the 5000K kit, then it will be the best of both performance and color effect.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no clue said:
That's way over priced for after-market HID.
The only reason it "fit" w/o modification is the ballast has larger capacity of capacitor that boots input volt to 32V range vs regular 16V.

If you have no problem installing after-market HID, just add little $10 capacitor and it will work like a charm as well.
You can read the diagram how to add capacitor to your power here.
(Allen did the detail instruction on the installation part, I drew that little cute diagram. :) )
HID, fog lights, headlight install guide 211 E series may work on other series models - MBWorld.org Forums

I have been using cheap HID kit ($130 shipped one) w/out STAR-modification for months now...and not a single problem.
NOPE, I do NOT need to go to the dealer to re-program to any Xenon present.!!!!!!

And the beauty of non-reprogramming is...WHENEVER I feel like going back to regular bulb, I can do that in 5 min.
(not that I want to do that, but suppose few years down the load, one of my HID need to be replaced and I have to wait for my item to arrived.)

P.S. if you want true performance stay w/ 4300K.
6000K is bit bluish...
if you can get the 5000K kit, then it will be the best of both performance and color effect.
Thank you for the advice, but what about the connectors to fit in the headlight housing? If its generic it won't fit in the E-class housing right? I don't want to just through the bulbs in to the light housing.

Also so if this kit is too expensive, can you recommend a brand that is affordable but reliable? I trust MTEC cause its a known quality Japanese brand. I'm not familiar with the rest. If you have any links to websites that sell kits that you recommend I would be very thankful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
Thank you for the advice, but what about the connectors to fit in the headlight housing? If its generic it won't fit in the E-class housing right? I don't want to just through the bulbs in to the light housing.

Also so if this kit is too expensive, can you recommend a brand that is affordable but reliable? I trust MTEC cause its a known quality Japanese brand. I'm not familiar with the rest. If you have any links to websites that sell kits that you recommend I would be very thankful.
Even Mtec require you to use the metal clip off the OEM mercedes.
See Allan's pic (4th pic from the bottom) removing the clip off is really easy.

I got the cheap one from
eBay Motors: HID XENON CONVERSION KIT H7/9005/880/9006/HB3/HB4/9003+ (item 170108794635 end time May-07-07 08:15:57 PDT)

BTW, your so-called Japanese Quality...well..... I was buying into this Made in Japan thingy..
After I search all over the google only to find out they are made in Taiwan.
MTEC HID Conversion Kit(ONSPIRE INC,Taiwan)
I ask them if I can buy it directly from them..and guess what?
They direct me the ebay link to exactly the same seller. (that's why I think it is total ripped off)

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no clue said:
Even Mtec require you to use the metal clip off the OEM mercedes.
See Allan's pic (4th pic from the bottom) removing the clip off is really easy.

I got the cheap one from
eBay Motors: HID XENON CONVERSION KIT H7/9005/880/9006/HB3/HB4/9003+ (item 170108794635 end time May-07-07 08:15:57 PDT)
Cool. So is this the exact kit from the exact same seller that you purchased yours from? No problems? If so I think i'll but this as it is much cheaper as you have mentioned.

Another questions, do I have to do the install from under the car with the splash guard removed? I don't have access to a lift and don't want to crawl under my car. Is it possible to install it from above? Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
Cool. So is this the exact kit from the exact same seller that you purchased yours from? No problems? If so I think i'll but this as it is much cheaper as you have mentioned.

Another questions, do I have to do the install from under the car with the splash guard removed? I don't have access to a lift and don't want to crawl under my car. Is it possible to install it from above? Thanks for all your help!!
I actually installed them on top, but I have total isolation on the ballast.
(went to HomeDepot, put my ballast in the plastic fuse box and sealed w/ electrical tape)

Remember although HID only use 35W, but it does covert 12V to around 80V!!!!
So any spike of voltage into your car is NOT good, doesn't matter who made the ballast.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no clue said:
I actually installed them on top, but I have total isolation on the ballast.
(went to HomeDepot, put my ballast in the plastic fuse box and sealed w/ electrical tape)

Remember although HID only use 35W, but it does covert 12V to around 80V!!!!
So any spike of voltage into your car is NOT good, doesn't matter who made the ballast.

So is this the same kit from the same seller or not?

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
So is this the same kit from the same seller or not?
they are the same.
check my cute diagram, you will see the ballast stickers.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no clue said:
they are the same.
check my cute diagram, you will see the ballast stickers.
So what will determine if I need the capacitors or not? I'm ready to buy the cheap ones off of ebay but don't know if I should just go and buy the capacitors or not from Radio shack. Anything else I need to pick up?
Lastly the size I need is H7 right? Thanks

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
Gonna but my lights. Need to double check with you experts that the size is H7??

Gonna buy them from: eBay Motors: HID XENON CONVERSION KIT H1/H3/H4/H7/H11/9004/9006/9007 (item 170110089162 end time May-13-07 09:25:50 PDT)

Since this is the ones that "no clue" purchased as well.
Do I need to go buy the capacitors or is there a change it may work without them? What is the deciding factor on what makes them work or not with the capacitors??

Thanks guys!
Yes, it is H7
Yes, you can buy the cheap HID Kit, like the one I show you.
( Judging from you didn't bother to find out the size of head light bulb from your own manual, I must say, I am NOT going to be responsible if your HID doesn't work, or if your ABS start to melfunction after HID installation.)
Yes, You need capacitors.
Yes, you need to read Allen's write up

Most people installed aftermarket HID w/out Capacitor because they have STAR turn "Xenon present" on. ( One hour labor ~ $100+ )

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no clue said:
Yes, it is H7
Yes, you can buy the cheap HID Kit, like the one I show you.
( Judging from you didn't bother to find out the size of head light bulb from your own manual, I must say, I am NOT going to be responsible if your HID doesn't work, or if your ABS start to melfunction after HID installation.)
Yes, You need capacitors.
Yes, you need to read Allen's write up

Most people installed aftermarket HID w/out Capacitor because they have STAR turn "Xenon present" on. ( One hour labor ~ $100+ )
Thanks.
Yes I checked the manual today (My car is parked somewhat far away from me so my manual is not easily accessable, and everytime i'm in the car I forget to bring it back with me to my apartment) and confirmed the H7 bulbs since it was my day off from work thank you.

I guess i'll order these bulbs and go to radio shack to pick up the capacitors.
You mentioned the whole install can be done from above and I wouldn't need to jack up the car right? I hope so. Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to go with the 6000K kit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
Thanks.
Yes I checked the manual today (My car is parked somewhat far away from me so my manual is not easily accessable, and everytime i'm in the car I forget to bring it back with me to my apartment) and confirmed the H7 bulbs since it was my day off from work thank you.

I guess i'll order these bulbs and go to radio shack to pick up the capacitors.
You mentioned the whole install can be done from above and I wouldn't need to jack up the car right? I hope so. Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to go with the 6000K kit.
Dont over confuse yourself.
It is simple...
If you have no problem replace your OEM bulb, then it is like plug in a "extension cord" between your original head light plug to your bulb.

To access driver side bulb, you might have to loosen coolent reservior

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
no clue said:
Dont over confuse yourself.
It is simple...
If you have no problem replace your OEM bulb, then it is like plug in a "extension cord" between your original head light plug to your bulb.

To access driver side bulb, you might have to loosen coolent reservior
will this kit work on a w210 98? thank you

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
thank you, i will look into it in the near future

·
Registered
220 Posts
slybydesignw210 said:
thank you, i will look into it in the near future
Just like to add.

W210 using reflector-type housing. It might produce too much glare for incoming traffic if installed HID kit. While back, when I still have my E420, I have convert it to projector type (from ebay) which has excellent cut-off to use w/ HID.

You could try to get a HID kit and also install the capacitor to see if it give you headlight mulfunction message.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I installed my HID's today. Pretty straight forward installation. Did it all from above the car not under it, and found a few places to mount the ballasts.

I ended up buying the MTEC kit since it isn't that expensive, and they are a reliable brand. Plus its plug and play, no adaptors needed for the bulbs, no capacitors, no flickering, problems, etc... the kit really is made to work for the W211 plug and play.

Got the 6000K kit. They are sweeeeet~ makes me want to drive more.

Pics:

·
Registered
96' W210 & 10' W212
194 Posts
Looks, great.

I am about to do this to my car as well and I had a question.
Did you have to adjust the light beam pattern after the install at all or was it already set with the existing bulb?

Also, did you have to use the capacitor?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts