Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2002 S430 and i did not purchase the HID lighting upgrade, but I was thinking about adding an aftermarket upgrade. Is this advisable? I heard somewhere that my seals will leak, or something like that. Is that true? Also where should I have it done, (I live in LA by the way)what is a good quality manufacturer of them, and what price range am i looking at? Would it be cheaper to have the dealer install it or will the dealer even add this option on for me? (I heard somewhere that dealers don't do lighting upgrades)<br> Can someone assist? Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I just e-mailed you the offer that I made to you for the real deal system. Aftermarket systems are the same quality as the Original Mercedes HID System. The only difference is the difference in output, and also the price. The difference in the output is (at least the manufacture I go to), the aftermarket HID Kit gives out more Colors, where as the stock HID Kit mostly gives out a stock Bright white. The HID kits that I sell are a 35w input to a 200w output. I can get you a purple HID system, regular HID systems, or even the REAL DEAL Philips system. I live in Los Angeles also, and I e-mailed you, so when you get the e-mail reply back and I will answer any questions you would like to ask me. Thanks! Chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't recommend going with aftermarket HIDs systems. For one thing, the aftermarket HID systems are just that - aftermarket. They're not beam corrected nor are they self leveling as in the OEM. Furthermore, you have the hassle of not just modifying your housing to fit the HID bulbs themselves but you have to find a location to mount the HID ballast and igniters for each side. Furthermore, if you hard-wire the aftermarket systems, you run the risk of getting a bulb-out malfunction because the HID bulbs will consume less energy than that of an a halogen bulb so the system will think you have a blown out bulb. Trust me, you're better off to get OEM equipment. I can get some OEM HID sets for you if you want at wholesale cost but they're still pretty spendy but well worth the money and will save you a lot of headaches down the road. Also, the characteristic blue hue that you see on HID equiped cars will be more noticeable the more you use them. Mercedes HIDs will be white as heck at first but after the burn-in stage, they'll be more blue if that is what you want. Good luck!<br> <br> Phil

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Phil, I have to give you my point on aftermarket HID Systems. I understand what you are saying, but those are companies like K2, Katz, etc. are crap. All of what you said is true about fake HID Companies like that. The people that I deal with are Philips, and those are the real deal systems. Yes you are right, the OEM system is better, especially the Mercedes OEM HID System, but this is the closest that you will get to have the real OEM look at a fraction of the cost. With my HID Bulbs, there is no modification, it is a direct composite for your light bulb system. I have installed HID kits into Hondas, Acuras, Mercedes, and Lexus, and we actually compared a Philips system to a OEM system on a Mercedes W203... Absoulutely no difference, and the one thing that was different was the Philips that I sell has a tiny bit more of a blue hue to it. There is no problem with the placement of the ballasts and relays, it will fit like any other stock HID system. Top that off, we installed about 2 months ago an HID system into a 95 S - Class... There are no problems with the S-Class system to think it has a blown out bulb. The HID Kits also last 50,000 Hours of lighting, and with any burn outs, I replace the bulbs, which you have a choice between D2S and D2R bulbs depending what you would like in your headlight housing. With my systems, you will not get any headaches, just a quality HID system, that some say are a hell of a lot better than stock OEM. Chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Do you drive an S-class (W220)

Why not just sell your Halogen headlights and purchase a new/used set of OEM replacements for that car. Seeing as how they are basically a p-n-p application. You do drive an S-class right. You shoudl be able to fork out the $$$$$$ :) Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will get a Bulb out notification with HID upgrades on any newer Mercedes Benz. You need to have the dealer progam the on board computer to recognize 35w HID.<br> <br> Make sure you get Hella H7 with Stage II bulbs (the rest are out-dated ie Phillips @ stage I)<br> <br> Stage I gives about 4100 Kelvins of light.<br> Stage II gives about 6000 K of light.<br> as compared to Halogen @ 3100 K of light<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HIDS4Less.com has Stage II Hella and Mercedes Benz resistor packs for a bulb-out notification work around. Part comes from Germany.<br> <br> Kick ass system that is way BETTER then OEM CRAP Stage I bullshit. ****All new HID systems in cars will be Stage II in a few years****<br> <br> Don't buy OEM...don't buy Stage I!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
If you're looking for information or have a question, you should fully describe your concerns in a new post rather than reopening a 7 year old inactive string.

P

·
0 Posts
A High Intensity Discharge or HID Kit gives a facelift to your old or new motorbike, car, truck, etc. through better quality illumination to hit the road with great amount of confidence. Choose your preferred HID Kit from HIDOnlineStore.
Does both high and low beam correctly and works for several Benz models.
Hid Kit

P

·
0 Posts
An HID light is called a high intensity discharge light, and it offers several advantages over standard halogen light bulbs to the benefit of indoor gardening. The main advantages are the high light intensity and low power consumption.

Fog Light

1 - 12 of 12 Posts