Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HID installation on 98SLK230

1391 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  CMount
I've installed HIDs into the original headlight assemblies of my SLK:). I wanted the advantage of brighter lights while keeping the original look of the car as much as possible. I got the HIDs from an Irish seller for €175 (inlcuding potage) at HID Ireland - Home. I ordered the kit on Friday and it arrived on Monday:thumbsup:

The kit came with good instructions, spade connectors and extra harness extensions which were useful. The wiring was all plug and play:D

Installation took twice as long as I thought (about 4 hours) and required drilling though the dust covers as whell as one hole through the metal of the wheel well. I've attached a pdf with a few images.

CMount

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Nice job, Bet your happy you can now see at night. :D
It makes a huge difference. I've been guessing where the turns are, now I can see the road ahead, even in oncoming traffic:D A definite advantage.

CMount
It makes a huge difference. I've been guessing where the turns are, now I can see the road ahead, even in oncoming traffic:D A definite advantage.

CMount

Does this unit fool the warning light on the dashboard? And will it fit the projector lights?
Yes it fools the warning light :D. But I tried an LED install on my rear fog light that doesn't and I need to change it back. It's a pity as I think the LED is brighter.

I don't know about the Projectors. It fits the H7 setting perfectly. The HID bulbs are just about the same size as the Halygon, maybe a little longer. But this supplier has them in all sizes and he answers questions by email.

CMount
Does this unit fool the warning light on the dashboard? And will it fit the projector lights?
What warning light?
Need to gain a bit of SLK knowledge.:)
If you have a bulb out on a slk, a little warning light come on to tell you nathd
And the warning light comes on when it thinks your bulb is out (it senses a drop in current draw), so you keep getting out to check. Also the light comes on when you try to instal the new LEDs because they use a lot less power:(

CMount
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.