Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't remember the temp now, but my lights were a bright white with a slight tinge of blue. They've been in service for about a year and a half now and headlights are on a lot in this part of the World. The left one now is showing a definite reddish tint and is much less bright. How does a failing bulb present? I suppose the simplest way to see if it is bulb or ballast is to just swap bulbs? Any experience? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
41 Posts
I get a lot of my info from another forum when it comes to HIDs, retros, etc (hidplanet.com).

From what I have read, HID bulbs tend to change color over time and, if you want to go back to the color you previously had (sounds like 6000k maybe), you need to replace BOTH your left and right headlight hid bulbs.

Your bulb changing to a reddish tint from blue-ish sounds really weird to me though. I've never read anything about a color change like that...

...but I'm not an expert either

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
Don't remember the temp now, but my lights were a bright white with a slight tinge of blue. They've been in service for about a year and a half now and headlights are on a lot in this part of the World. The left one now is showing a definite reddish tint and is much less bright. How does a failing bulb present? I suppose the simplest way to see if it is bulb or ballast is to just swap bulbs? Any experience? Thoughts?
Swap bulbs. That should isolate what the issue is.

If bulbs, buy in pairs. Sounds like 6000k if mostly white, 8000k is usually more blue, 4300k a little more yellow tinged.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts