Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi....i normally post over in the w126 section.

i'm actually interested in getting a w123, and just wanted your feedback on what sort of things to watch out for, and which are the preferred models and years.

also, what is a good source of w123's in the UK.

Thanks a lot.[:)]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
I'll just start with the basic, never get an 85 300d turbo, 82-84 only, 85 has no power and the tranny shifts funny. 85 has all that emissions junk on it. I have an 82 and it runs perfect, i got the engine rebuilt but still ask other people in this forum and they will tell u that these engines run strong and will run strong for a long time. Thats just my opinion. [^]

MARSHALL

·
Registered
72 Posts
obaja - 4/12/2005 4:46 PM

I'll just start with the basic, never get an 85 300d turbo, 82-84 only, 85 has no power and the tranny shifts funny. 85 has all that emissions junk on it. I have an 82 and it runs perfect, i got the engine rebuilt but still ask other people in this forum and they will tell u that these engines run strong and will run strong for a long time. Thats just my opinion. [^]

MARSHALL
This guy's telling you the opposite of what anyone else will tell you. The '85 has a taller rear end which will yield lower RPMs and better fuel economy on the highway. FYI the '85 has the same 617 5-cylinder turbo engine that the others have. The differences are 1)the inclusion of a vacuum amplifier to smooth out the shifts 2)taller rear end
He is telling you to avoid the '85 because of 'EGR crap' as he puts it. Other years may have it too, it's merely a question of when the Federal gov't mandated the use of emissions equipment. Might be that his own car has the 'EGR crap' on it and he's just too stupid to know what it looks like. You are in the UK so you don't have to worry about US emissions equipment (DUH). The guy obviously knows nothing about these cars so I would suggest you take his opinion with a grain of salt, maybe two. He was obviously driving a car that needed repairs and doesn't have the brains to sort that out in his own mind. Or, he's just passing on hearsay from some dumbass upriver. Regardless, he's the type of fool you wouldn't want to buy a car from.

'85 has no power and shifts funny'
Listen here dumdum, my '85 will eat your '82 for breakfast. Why? Because I know the car, that's why, and it's maintained properly. You don't know dick, and it's obvious, so stop giving out bogus advice. Schmuck.

BTW the normally aspirated 4-speed 300D is more prevalent in Europe. It has cloth seats and sometimes has manual windows, no sunroof, manual climate control. Those are dandy cars, really don't notice the lack of turbo.

The deliberate spread of disinformation gets on my nerves. Good policy would be to not listen to uneducated people from the ghetto.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Hello,

No need for a heated discussion here, gentlemen. The turbo issue is a moot point since no Turbos were ever available RHD so I doubt mercbuff woould have much use for one. Also, he didn't say he wanted a diesel at all, only that he wanted a w123.

Mercbuff,

I will share some of my knowledge of the gas models in the W123 range, since I have very little knowledge of diesels. I believe, in the UK almost the entire gas range was available from the basic carburetted 200 to the fuel-injected 280E.

There is a lot to consider here. Are you looking for a sedan (or as you would say saloon), a station wagon (or as you would say estate car) or a coupe (or as you would say coupe)?[;)]

Is gas mileage a consideration? What about performance? Utility? How would you rate your mechanical aptitude?

You are fortunate not to have to deal with catalysts, EGR valves etc. They can be a pain.

If you're looking for something basic, simple and reliable, perhaps a 200 or a 230 might be up your alley. These had very straight forward 4 cyl engines, most didn't even have power steering. These cars are rather easy to work on and diagnose. I would advise finding one with a manual transmission which helps the performance quite a bit with these smaller engines.

If you're thinking about an Estate, I feel the 280TE with a mechanically injected 2.8L sixpot is your best bet. Very reliable and relatively simple to maintain. Gas mileage is not so great though. My 280E sedan (albeit with the US emission equipment) never gets beyound 20mpg, the Estate will probably be somewhat worse.

The coupes are classy and sporty, but some of the parts for them are quite a bit more expensive than for the others, what with the coupes being "sports cars" and all.

The 280E (or TE or CE) is pretty quick and feels fairly sporty even compared to some much more modern cars. The downside to them is that many had the automatic climate control with the somewhat worrisome servo, but that went away after 1981.

There is a wonderful UK-based site called www.w123.net. There, in the helpline section, there is a buyer's guide in the form of a wonderful article. I strongly suggest you read it.

In the past, I also owned a 250 saloon. Feel free to ask me any questions about the gas 123s. On the diesels, I defer to the other members.

I hope this helps.

Ike

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Hello mercbuff, welcome to the 123 forum, the 123 complements the 126 well, it’s a solid, heavy, sturdy car like you’re used to but more nimble and tossable. It’s a little nosier at highway speeds compared to the 126 but very stable and comfortable. It has great visibility compared to the 126 and is a true urban warrior. [:)]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. All feedback is helpful, so keep it coming.

I'm actually interested in a saloon (or sedan [:)]), and would prefer a petrol / gasoline engine as opposed to a diesel.

this is really just a personal preference, nothing else. I've heard good things about the 230E and 280E, the only difference being of course that the 2.8 consumes a lot more fuel.

My aim is just to get a car to tinker around town in...i'll keep u guys posted on what i find.

many thanks...again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't know much about the gas models, but my US 85 300D runs great. No engine/tranny problem so far. It's really hard to compare with other years since I never owned the other years. But I think the last production year is usually the best, since they should have fixed all the errors in them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts