Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i am the owner of a 1990 merc 230e w124 automatic, the problem is that the air con stopped working but inside air blower fan is fully functional. aircon gas is full but the aircon switch wont even engage( no red light). can you assist pls.

·
Registered
W124
4,690 Posts
Lubhas, welcome to the forum. The air conditioning system is not complex but there is an inter-dependence between various components for the system to operate correctly. The forum no longer lets us know where a member is located so I will have to just guess that since you have a 230e, you are outside the USA and your car has a basic air con system and not integrated climate control.

My best advice would be to do Google searches to uncover discussions that will help you. But just to get you thinking, the system has a few switches/sensors that need to be functioning correctly for the compressor to engage. Two of these are the high temp switch and low pressure switch. Both are located on the receiver/dryer (sometimes called the fluid reservoir). The receiver dryer is located in the engine compartment by the left headlight (as seen while sitting in the car).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lubhas, welcome to the forum. The air conditioning system is not complex but there is an inter-dependence between various components for the system to operate correctly. The forum no longer lets us know where a member is located so I will have to just guess that since you have a 230e, you are outside the USA and your car has a basic air con system and not integrated climate control.

My best advice would be to do Google searches to uncover discussions that will help you. But just to get you thinking, the system has a few switches/sensors that need to be functioning correctly for the compressor to engage. Two of these are the high temp switch and low pressure switch. Both are located on the receiver/dryer (sometimes called the fluid reservoir). The receiver dryer is located in the engine compartment by the left headlight (as seen while sitting in the car).
could it be perhaps a relay that is faulty or a blown fuse ?

·
Registered
1979, 450 SL 1983, 500SL
290 Posts
could it be perhaps a relay that is faulty or a blown fuse ?
If the freon is low there should be a pressure switch which will prohibit the compressor from coming on. The freon also carries the lubricant for the compressor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts