Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the input on my last questions. If anyone finds a fix for the speed-o-meter thing let me know. Has anyone owned thier Benz since new? Did it bounce like that when it was new?

O.K.
New question. I have just finished cleaning the engine compartment of my Mercedes. I did this for two reasons, one it looks better, and two my car had a old oil smell inside. Since cleaning the engine the air coming in the vents new is a lot better. Smells better on the outside of the car too. I was wondering if there was a sponge filter of some kind on the intake for the inside vents that might need to be cleaned? I'm sure it has plenty of oil and road grim on it after 21 years.

Also I think I have found where all the oil has come from under my hood, it's leeking out from around the oil cap. Does anyone know how I can remidy this? I have tried bending the little wings up on the cap to make it fit a little tighter but it still leeks a little. The rubber seal is there and seems good and the cap is pretty tight when I twist it on. Anyone else have this experiance?

Last question (for now)

My air cleaner holder thing, you know the big round metal thing on top of the engine, seems like it is just sitting there, like it is not bolted down on the bottom. Is this normal? It rattles back and forth when the engine is running. Should this be more secure somehow?

Thanks again for all the help! You guy rock!

p.s.
I really thought I was going to get laughed at for wanting hub caps on my car [:I] Glad to see I'm not alone.

p.p.s.

Here is a picture of my oil leek to better explain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Seems like the oil cap gasket needs to be replaced. Maybe it has a crack that doesn't show when you inspect, or doesn't feel like it when you tighten it. I wonder, mine also leaks that way but not before. I even went for several weeks and the valve cover was bone dry. Now it's leaking, sorta...

Have you tried cleaning the oil cap "rim" on the valve cover itself? Then put back the oil cap? The tabs you bent just make it tighter.

The air cleaner housing should be secured by 3 bolts with rubber bushings on them. The rattling eventually breaks those bolts and the air cleaner housing gets loose.

I don't think our cars had cabin air filters though.

The other reason I cleaned my engine, aside from your two, is I can fix something in there and not need to use gobs of soap to clean my hands or forearms [:p]

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
would this be a result of blow-by?

id assume all that pressure would come out of this orriface as well as the EGR(?) to air cleaner pipe as well!

i guess mine might need replaced as well, that pipe(not the oil filler) has oil under it after about 3 weeks after i clean the engine. ive almost gotten it clean though!

kudos to you, mike. for cleaning your engine! its a shameful thing to drive a dirty unkempt Mercedes-Benz!

not to mention when shined up and running well, these machines pt modern cars to shame, but dirty and nasty, they can look as bad as a rusty 82 regal!

my best advice is to clean it about every 3rd washing and fageddabowdit! love your car, faults and all
[:D]

*edit*

wait, isnt that the PCV? its barely in the picture, but his doesnt look as greasy as mine!

btw: if you werent so far away, i might trade you the hubbies from my car for your wheels, alabama to cali is kind of far though! heh heh but i dont know, im kind of fond of the hubbies, oh how they shine in the sun! its ALL about the chrome star!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the blow by, would that make your car burn oil? Mine doesn't. When I bought the car the people told me it had a leek and they just had an oil pan under the car in thier gaurge. I brought the car home and parked it for about 12 hours with a large sheet of paper under it and there was only about 3 drops of oil on the paper. So that made me want to find out where it was coming from. With I had taken a before picture of the engine. It was impoosible to tell where the oil was from because there was a thick layer of burnt on oil everywhere! So after cleaning the entire engine all the way down to the pan this is the only leek I can find. It's just enough to be annoying. I would like to park the car on my driveway sometimes but don't want to with the leek, otherwise I woudn't care so much as it isn't enough to make me have to add any oil between changes.

In my other question thread someone made a picture of my car with the hub caps. MAN DO I WANT THEM NOW!!! It looks so sweet!

Here is a little better picture of my leak and the other hose. Two weeks and it doesn't show any signs of leaking around it.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts