Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hi, New Benz owner with a few question.

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tiger_biru 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a new (to me) 1984 Mercedes 300D Turbo and have a few questions.

First I would like to say how much I enjoy this sight. I have been reading for the last few months after desiding that a 300D was the car for me.

On to the questions. I know this may seem strange but I have the aluminum wheels on the car and want the hub caps. I really like the look of the hub caps better, call me crazy I guess. The aluminum just doesn't seem to match the car were as the chrome plated hub caps look sweet. My question is can I put the hub caps right on to the aluminum wheels or do I need new rims? I will attept to post a picture of my car the rims I want to add.

Second question is my speed-o-meter bounces a little bit. mostly between 15 and 30 mph. any idea how to fix this?

Thanks everyone for such a great sight!

Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey! Very nice car. Good luck with it. You shouldent have any problems.

Now for your questions. Just get a hubcap and see if it fits. Thats the best way. I think it should. But Im not too sure.

As for the speedo, they all do it. Well my 2 Coupes do.

#5 ·
Hi Mike

Welcome! Another fellow SoCal W123 owner!

Like others said, you'll need the steel rims (14 inchers are common, 15 inchers are rare--European option).

Not sure about the speedo, mine does that too. I think I need a new one. Is there a way to "fix" it?

#6 ·
Saw an auction on eBay one time for some stock magnesium wheels that looked just like the steel units. The guy claimed they only weighed nine pounds each! You'll sacrifice ride quality, and, to a lesser degree, acceleration with a heavier (e.g. steel) wheel. Ask your mechanic about "unsprung weight". If you could find a set of those mag wheels, and put your hubcaps on those...! By the way, I have a couple sets of hubcaps lying around....

Jay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.