Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a nice car, so is the CLK55, but I'm getting the M3

The CLK55 is a luxury car whereas the M3 is an all-out sports car. Sure, the CLK55 has more torque and horsepower than the M3, but the CLK55 weighs more and definitely does NOT handle better than the M3. I'm not here to bash the CLK55, I think it's a great car, but some of you need to understand that it simply is not a sports car, if it were, dont you think they would offer it in a manual shift?<p>I also think the M3 looks much meaner and aggressive than the CLK55. If you guys think those bubble eyes on the benz look good, then you have issues, seriously.<p>Like I said, I'm not here to bash the Benz, I'm just extending my opinion, but of course some of you cant handle other peoples opinions, especially when they come from rival enthusiasts like me. Flame me if you want, I really dont care. Actually, I'll get a kick out of watching some of you get bent out of shape over my post -P<p>PS: Just remember, it's just a message board guys, dont take things too personally, I speak from experience....<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Save It

<br>-"The CLK 55 is not a sports car"<br>-"If we like the headlights we have issues"<p>Yes, you truly are an idiot. You should read the warning in your M3's manual that says "remove head from ass before posting" <br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James, the CLK55 is NOT a sports car, it's a freeking automatic!!

Do yourself a favor and dont promote your cherished CLK55 as something it is not. Ok, maybe the headlight comment was nonsense, but it's my opinion so deal with it.<p>Seriously, the CLK55 is a 5.5 V8 for God sake, and yet it only has about 20 more HP than the M3. What does that tell you about MB engineers? BMW engineers can take a inline 6 and get more HP per liter than Porsche, with no supercharger and no turbo. That's engineering for you pal. <p><p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lighting Strikes Twice

You are killing me here. Do you really believe the crap you are posting? I can't imagine you are an adult (what are you 13 or 14). Its very obvious that you have never owned or driven an M3 or CLK55 (gee those road and track articles are really good aren't they)<p>Oh yeah, the CLK55 isn't a sports car, I forgot, its an SUV!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p> Guys ,<p> They are both great cars . But they are Sports Coupe's. I have a CLK55 and it is great . The thing I miss at times is the tight feeling of the 3-series. Guess what the M3 feels heavy. I drove one . But the M3 is a manual and has lots of high RPM power . The power really is only above 4000 rpm where the CLK has it from idle till red line. A 6 speed in the CLK would be great for some but it really was meant to be a Luxury Sports Coupe.<p> Battle on!!!<p><br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its really not a sports car, a fine GT...

So lets not say it is... And yes Ive driven the new M3, and its really not heavy, 3415 with one person and a full tank of fuel, per the owners manual.<br>Both are great at what they do, one more for the track and one more for driving 135mph all weekend long, but both also cross over well too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James seriously....

You have'nt even addressed any of the arguments I have introduced in my last two posts and I'm thinking that there are two possible reasons for this. First, you think I'm a young idiot that you dont want to waste your valuable time with, or, second, you are so obssessed with your CLK55 and MB in general that you dont care to hear otherwise. <p>Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the former and also add that I am 26 and will be picking up my M3 in 1 month.<p>Comparing these two cars requires a detailed analysis because both have their good and bad points and a simple answer wont be sufficient, so we must break down our comparision by category. Let me know what you think of this...<p>Standard features, options, and MSRP:<p>You really have no idea how good MB is to you in this category. The CLK is offered in a variety of very appealing colors and packages. The M3, on the other hand, is offered in absolutely the worst colors you can think of. There is'nt even a sport package that you can upgrade the rims with. And to top it off, there are no trim options at all!...can you believe that? The M3 doesnt even come standard with leather a $45K car and leather not standard! In terms of price and cost-effectiveness, I think both of these cars are worth their price even though the CLK does carry a hefty price tag, you get what you pay for. There is no comparision in this category, the CLK is the clear winner.<p>Handling and performance:<p>In terms of which car is faster, you cant answer that question until you define "faster." We both know that the M3 will win off the line and 0-60 as well. But, if you're talkig top-end speed, like 0-140, the CLK is definitely faster than the M3. If you need a four-person get-away car, then neither car is faster since they are both coupes. Personally, in that case, I would go with an M5 )<p>In terms of handling, the M3 is the clear winner. I wont even get into this, but if you guys think the CLK handles better than the M3, you are joking yourselves. You know it, I know it. <p>Practicality:<p>The CLK has enourmous power at ALL RPM's, so it probably would not be a pratical car to use if you needed to take a long drive. The M3, below 4000 RPM, behaves just like a 3-series. Above 4000 RPM, and you have another beast entirely. The car just begs to be pushed. The M3 is a benign car when it needs to be, and aggressive when it needs to be as well. In terms of praticality, the M3 is the winner. It also seats 5, unlike the CLK which seats 4.<p>Between the two cars, there is no winner, it really depends on what you want in a car. If you prefer handing and performance for a good price, go with the M3. If you prefer a luxury coupe that's very appealing to the eye, go with the CLK.<p>I'll say it again, I'm not bashing the CLK, I think it's an amazing car, but I prefer the M3. To be honest, after I get my M3, I plan on beating the shit out of it and enjoying my $57K liability. Why not? It's just a car right?, and after I'm done, I'll sell it to some idiot that thinks he's getting a deal and buy something else. My next car will definitely not be a BMW, it will most likely be an MB, because I like to diversify and check out other cars. The current MB line-up is awesome, just expensive )<p>So as you can see, I dont cherish the M3 like it is the best car on the road, unlike some of you who cherish the CLK like it's a Ferrari Modena or something. C'mon guys, lighten up!, it's just an MB!, just like the M3 is just a BMW!..nothing to envy, they're just cars!<p>BABYLON<p><br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Third Option

I didn't even bother making it through your response because you arguments and viewpoints are seriously flawed and misguided. <p>Go to the BMW board and stop bothering us "non-sports car" people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least at the bimmer boards....

like I was saying, at least at the bimmer boards when rival enthusiasts decide to drop by and extend their opinions on competing cars, we offer constructive criticism that is usually longer than your lame-ass two line responses.<p>Dont bother responding to this post. This board has no where near the traffic that bimmer.org gets, you're basically the only person I have been talking to and you are a very boring person so I will not be returning (heheheh)<p>...and people think bimmer.org is stuck-up, they should check this place out and see what they're missing...<p>babylon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love cars!!!

<br> Try a Porsche 996 . 2900 lbs and very nimble. This is what I call a sports car . Trouble is your kidney's must be very strong! <p> The M3 is great as is the CLK55 . Just different. The M3 is maxed out on power, whereas the Clk has much more to offer in the aftermarket.<p> Just thoughts please take not offense. <br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really Good

I just went and read some of your post. This is some really funny stuff. I especially like the following:<p>"The CLK has enourmous power at ALL RPM's, so it probably would not be a pratical car to use if you needed to take a long drive" <p>"The M3 is a benign car when it needs to be, and aggressive when it needs to be as well. In terms of praticality, the M3 is the winner".<p>Have you considered a career at the National Enquirer or writing for Seinfeld?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Friddle

How do you get that I am a jerk? This idiot (Babylon) comes on and makes all kinds of stupid and outlandish comments that make no sense and you blame me. Obviously you and Babylon come from the same school of stupidity (or you are the same person...).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: At least at the bimmer boards....

This is not a matter of anyone being stuck up. This is a forum that has been set up for to help us with questions that we have about our cars, not a place for insults to be slung at one another. If you have your mind set on buying an M3, that's great, but go to an M3 discussion forum, and leave us alone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Babylon 5

Being a past owner of an M3 and current owner of a CLK55 I can tell you that the Merc is in a different class to the Bimmer. I've driven the new M3 and it's certainly a quick car. Not bad value, either.<br>
<br>
The key to the CLK55's performance is its prodigous torque which leaves the M3 for dead. Around town the car is extremely tractible, like the M3, to the point that my elderly parents can take it for a spin without having to change their driving style from their normal family sedan.<br>
<br>
In a straight line there's probably not much between the cars. 400m times are probably similar, too. The CLK55 would munch up the M3 to 200km/h, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts