Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br>I am currently looking at a '67 250C. It is in fair shape with a little rust in the trunk wheelwell area, as well as the rocker panels and a little paint bubbling at the bottom leading edge of the front doors. <p>The interior is pristine. A little dirty but no cracks or fading. the wood could use refinishing, but I suspect I can pull it out and either refinish it myself or take it to a carpenter.<p>It needs a new brake booster, a new cover of some sort(there is a crack in the "tube" where the distributor mounts), and some new tires wouldn't be out of line.<p>It will need repainting if I decide to fully restore it. All chrome is intact and in very good shape.<p>It is a European model (fully enclosed headlamps, lights below the license plate, and the speed-o-meter registers in KPH.<p>It also has a sunroof which the owner tells me is uncommon.<p>The current owner, a BMW mechanic, tells me he took the car in on a trade and just doesn't want to mess with it. It was originally from Georgia, I gather that is the source of the rust, and has been in Arizona for the past 10-13 years, I gather that has a lot to do with the paint :)<p>Now, I am looking for an 108 because I have a BMW 325i I love to drive, and I have always wanted a big classic benz to counter the Bimmers diminutive stature. So I don't need a daily driver, just a project I can work on in my spare time that can serve as a backup when the 325i just HAS to spent time in the shop.<p>He is asking $1200 for the car, and will replace the Brake booster, Distributor thingie, and tune up the car for another $500. <p>My question to you, newfound fellow listmembers is this:<br>Does this sound like a fair deal? And does $500 sound good for the repair work he has offer to do?<p>I appreciate any response and thank you in advance,<p>Mark.<p>PS. He also has a 280C 4.5 in very good shape for $3000 if any one is looking for one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mark,<p>Stay away, it's not worth the hassle... This is obviously an abused car. Don't make light of a little rust here and a little rust there ... When the wheel wells and rockers are rotten you can be sure the floor pans are also.. This is far too much work to put into this car when there are soooo many others in much better shape out there... Also there is NO such car as a 280C 4.5... A 280 C had a 2.8 liter straight 6, the 4.5 engine is a V8 and only made to be in the 108/109 chassis cars. The coupes of that era were the 111 chassis form 1963-1971 and the 115 chasis from 1971 to 1975. If by any chance some idiot tried to install that 4.5 engine in a 280C it just wouldn't fit... No way no how... I suggest you research these cars before you buy one... Otherwise you'll have a lot of heartaches..<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, <p>I actually misquoted the cars models. They are a 250S and a 280SE both from 1967. I am thinking about offering him $4000 for the pair, as I want the interior and some of the european exterior items from the 250S.<br>The general concensus seems to be that the 250S is not worth the time, and the price on the 280SE is a good deal, given that the car need no real work.<p>I certainly appreciate the response, and if you can think of anything else I should watch out for please let me know.<p>Thanks,<br>Mark

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now I understand.. the 1967 280SE is a nice car especially with the white steering wheel... It's a 2.8 liter 6 cylinder. remanufactured engines are reasonably priced compared to the 4.5 V8 that I have.. I deal with a great place in Baltimore , Md who has good used parts for your car. They only deal with Mercedes.... TMC-410-789-7896, ask for Bob or Jeff. You can get all you parts here, interior and exterior. Please be careful no to buy a rust bucket... I've gone down the road before and it is heartbreaking. What looks like a little surface rust could be a lot worse underneath. Like I said, Wheel wells, rocker panels and floor pans... This car is built using uni-body construction so sub frame rails are also a consideration.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. <p>I need to go back down and see the car again. I must have the year wrong as it is definitely a 4.5. It does have no rust thankfully, so I am assuming that 3K is a fair price.<p>I'll drive over there tomorrow and see.<p>Also, is it better to have the us or european headlights, as the owner said he would swap the headlights with the ones on the 67 250SE if I so desired?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts