Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the ol Volvo ate a head gasket and is dead. My local mechanic has a 1987 300d Benz that he thinks I should buy. It would be 1K US and has 207000 miles on it. I have never owned a Benz or a diesel. He let me borrow it for the weekend so I can try it out. Being a diesel I really have no idea what to look for. It has new belts, battery, tires brakes, etc. I'm looking for some knowledge on this model and engine to see if it might last me a little while? Mechanically the car seems very good except no AC and the rear passenger window doesn't work(I can live without both). The body is a little rough with some rust here and there. The idle seems to pulsate a little is this normal? Also in the picture I attached there is a thingy on the front drivers side of engine that seems like it might have a small leak? Is there anything I should test/look for examine before I buy this car? The engine seems very strong and the car feels great to drive. I sorta fell in love with it already(benz thing perhaps?) but I wanted to check before I buy it.. Thanks for you expert knowledge.. Kris

Attachments

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
That's the lift-feed pump for the injection pump. It has an inlet and outlet, so if both are tight, then it probably needs to be replaced as a unit.

The pulsating idle might be the delivery valve seals, which is a cheap fix, but needs to be conducted by someone with skillz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for such a fast reply. I will check into that. Also the oil pressure gauge seems to read 1,2,3 and it runs at 3(the top) is that normal?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Wow thanks for such a fast reply. I will check into that. Also the oil pressure gauge seems to read 1,2,3 and it runs at 3(the top) is that normal?
Better there than the other end Hahahahahah

No 3 is good oil pressure during running - at idle I would expect it to sit around 1.5 to 2.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like I will be purchasing this car tomorrow. Any last minute things I should check. It seems to run really strong. I'm going to ask about the lift pump thingy and the other gasket that was already mentioned. I'm trying to remember if I saw green anti-freeze was bad for this car? Thanks for your replies Kris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts