Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least to this subforum;)
Just got a 92 400E!
A little over 111K in great overall condition but will need a few things that I think a mere mortal can handle.
I haven't had a chance to assess everything that it will need because it's getting dark and I had to shove the car in the garage since it has no tags.

Attachments

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Ha, a guy with nearly 50k posts under his belt is "new". Drew, that looks like a very nice basis for a daily driver. It should be easy to get sorted, based on what little I know at this point.

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zman, the car drove like a dream but right away I spotted that it needed front rotors. It will also need a complete power steering purge and replacement of the low and high pressure hoses. I think they are deteriorating from the inside and making the fluid kind of milky. I have seen that with the 190E and when I did the same operation it has stayed clear ever since.
There were no strange noises from the engine but the serpentine belt will need to be replaced and I think I might replace the tensioner if needed. For good measure, I am going to install new engine mounts because I suspect that at least one is shot.
All electrical worked and the owner had just replaced the wire harness and throttle sensor.
The car looks like it was well cared for.

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
literally half as many miles as mine... how much did'ja steal it for? (i mean what did you pay, haha)
If I told you, you will think I just lied so I better wait until I scan the bill of sale unless you can handle it while not sitting down:D

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, it came with a CD changer but I am not sure if it's stock or part of some package

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
CD changer looks like an aftermarket changer? possibly period dealer installed accessory.. love the 400's, love that color, and such low mileage

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!
I too was impressed with the low mileage and I made sure that Carfax confirmed it. The last owner got this car at auction last July and only drove 1000 miles and somehow spent $500 to replace the engine wire harness. He basically told me flat out that he was worried what else it's going to take him to cleaners for. I did the rest of the anxiety build up for him to almost simply hand me over the key... Should I feel bad?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
NOPE - CAVEAT EMPTOR in REVERSE !~

It's like all these recent posts of guys lucking out buying Sportline's and the dill's selling the cars not realising what they were selling !

mercedes is best.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Congratulations Drew, she looks great :thumbsup:

·
66,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Eric, let's hope it doesn't churn out a saga thread on stalling or something like that.

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks Eric, let's hope it doesn't churn out a saga thread on stalling or something like that.
If it does the 124 forum is in for a treat and your wife will kill you LOL.

·
52,804 Posts
Welcome to the w124 empire, young Jedi!

She looks great!

Get rid of that too tall gear handle please :)
If he gets a shorter shift lever he may not be able to reach it. Hahaha

·
52,804 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts