Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering a 1999 or 2000 ML320, I have driven Audi's for over 10 years, and I still own 2 a 1995 A6 2.8 and a 2000 A6 4.2, I am going to sell the 1995 A6, and put some more $ with it and buy something else. My questions is, how is the maintenece on the 99's and 00's ML320's are they headaches, I know Audi's are VERY exspensive and have a lot of annoying problems, I want something that will hopefully be a little less maintenece than Audi's. Please let me know if this is a vehicle to consider, or are they lots of problems, and what are the common area problems.
thanks to you all.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
First of all I wouldn't buy a V-6 no matter who built it. I have liked to believe they have a subtle vibration in them that makes other parts fail. I would only buy a V-8. If you could find a 2000 430 that was starmarked and could buy an extended warranty on it plus the starmark warrany it would be a better start for you. I had a 2000 430 that I traded in on an 05 500SE that was good as new. It was a little hard on brakes (23k back and 35k fronts) but other than that it was perfect for 45,000 miles! I had the fuel pump/filter upgrade done under warranty by the dealer. Anyway it sold right away. I always got 18 to 20 MPG and the power was great for keeping out of trouble on the freeways. Just my 2 cents! Thanks! [8D]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,
I think you are thinking in the right direction but think you also need to know that headaches MLs come with. Please spend some time on this forum reading through post. I would however like to caution that
some people exaggerate and others flat out hate the ML. Well they might speak from their experiences. Mine, though short(8 mths) has been good. I have a '99ML 430. I must agree that it helps keep me out of trouble on the highways. They ride good compared to other SUVs. However if you are like me who came from a Lexus GS sedan, you would find the ride a little bumby and less responsive. I like it though and would recommend it to anyone who does not mind 14-16 miles per gallon of premium gasoline.

elladdin

·
Registered
'99 ML320
42 Posts
i would recommend a newer model ML, possibly 2001 or 2002, 98s and 99s have a real terrible history compared wiht the newer years

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
To Elladdin:
Thanks for your input. For years I drove GM 4WD vehicles. I think the 2 ML's I've owned were the most reponsive 4800# vehicles I've driven. You can't compare them to a sedan. I don't feel safe in a sedan, only in an SUV with a frame under it. That's why I bought an 05 500SE and not waited for a 2006! I'm retired and have gas money, as I don't have or want a motorhome. I dearly love my 05 and is better built than my 2000, but you're right it loves gas. As for the newbee who started this thread, I have no idea where you're from, but my old 430 is for sale at the dealer in Fresno Ca. who bought it from my dealer. The stock # is 10780 and it is a good truck for the money, as I gave it the best of care when I had it!! Thanks guys! [8D]

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Anything is better than an Audi. In my estimation they are garbage. The earlier ML's should be fine, if you get one that has been taken care of BY A DEALER so that it received all the upgraded parts that are available. There is nothing wrong with the V6, in my estimation it is bullet proof. I have owned an ML320 and a 500. Have enjoyed them both and even with the 98 I had I felt it was very reliable.Yes, 02 on up have lots of new neat features and improvements but there is nothing wrong with an older ML. Buy a low mile vehicle with a dealer service history.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts