Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, new to this forum and have lots of questions, but I'll keep those in check for now.
Wife has been asking for a decent ride for a couple years as I am basically a classic car guy
who does most of the DIY work on our 71 El Camino, 73 914 Porsche and we have a 05 Prius as
a daily beater. Wife can't drive stick shift and the El Camino wakes the neighborhood with a 454 earthquake
every time we turn the key over. I'm in the Prius most days fishing around the Bay Area so wife hasn't really had
her own ride for a while.

We decided to look around at used options and I thought it might be nice to get her some kind of sporty midsize luxuryish sedan.
We were looking at a BMW 325i for about 4K and change. Looked at a Huyndai Sonata, Audi A4 and Volvo. After a few Craigslist debacles, we stopped by a few local used lots and saw this drop dead gorgeous Mercedes E 350 sport version. It was a 2007 with 165K and they were asking 11K. Took it for a spin and it was really a dream ride. The look, the ride, perfect interior, clean etc. After getting back in our Prius it was a bit depressing! lol But the reality is we just didn't really need to be spending over 10K on a retired budget essentially.. and with the unknowns etc.. we decided on the Volvo for her at about 4K.

Just for kicks, I did a search for on CL for Benz E 350 and saw a bit newer version down in the South Bay 2009 with just over 100K on the car and they were asking 7K. I picked up the phone and a nice Asian techy gentleman answered and we had a very nice chat about the car. He was motivated but in the right way... not desperate. We had some common interests etc and agreed to drive down south and take a look. When we got there, she was parked in a corporate lot complex alongside many other Silicon Valley upscale rides and no doubt, she stood out as the beauty of them all. Just a jaw dropper. Flawless interior, drove even better than the other one. Service records were up to date from their dealership. Looked perfectly maintained. Wife was just over the moon I could tell. I nicely asked him what his rock bottom price would be if we paid cash on the spot and he said 6K. So I am thinking for an extra 2K we go from this Volvo hatchback to this Mercedes dream car! We quickly agreed, signed the paperwork and wife was just "over the moon" as she drove it back home on the hour drive. On the way home she really looked like a different woman driving this stunner... she's not bad herself! lol

Now, of course I hear the stories about "dealership" pricing horror stories etc. I spent about 15 years driving Jaguars XJ6 and XJ12, so no stranger to that world. Never once took a Jag to a dealership. Did a lot of the DIY stuff and on occasion would take her to a shop for something I didn't want to do. It's true that Jags are a handful and a lot of issues. I have heard that Mercedes are much better built and reliable cars. I did once have a 74 450 SLC for a brief time, but just flipped it for a couple grand profit after someone made me a offer.

Anyway, that's the story and if it were not for these wonderful internet communities, I probably wouldn't take on such responsibility, but I look forward to learning and sharing as well this journey into the E 350 universe!

Not sure what I just got us into, but figured this was worth a gamble!

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,164 Posts
When I highly admire MB cars for its class, the 350 engines had years of weak balance shafts, so check your VIN if that is something you might have to plan on?
Enjoy new drive.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
1,002 Posts
When I highly admire MB cars for its class, the 350 engines had years of weak balance shafts, so check your VIN if that is something you might have to plan on?
Enjoy new drive.
I just can't believe you said that. You should know by now that the 2006 and early 2007 models had the bad balance shaft. His 2009 should be fine.

I haven't taken my 2008 to the dealer in a long while,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of you use the recommended Mercedes maintenance guide at the suggested 10K mile intervals... and then just do your own work?... or most of it?

I have a history of being a bit suspicious sometimes of all the "bad things" they seem to find... and of course the repair pricing can border on criminal.

These of course are very sophisticated cars... not like the old school hot rods I have been wrenching on for decades.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You just need to get the modern tools to work on them. You need a good code scanner and some torx and external torx sockets as MB likes to use them. You can also get a copy of the WIS which is the dealer repair manual on eBay, about $8.50. The 10k interval basically has them checking a bunch of things and replacing filters.

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,164 Posts
Start with MB-oriented scanner. At present Autel at Walmart cost $49, what is excelent deal.
FSS should give you 13k miles intervals, or 1 year. I tend to ignore 1 year, as that was requirement enforced by US lawyers and I prefer to listen to engineers.
I've been repairing MB for whole family for generation and never needed WIS.
Forum advise was always all it took, although on such advice I did replaced couple of perfectly good sensors. But those were years when new, digital technology was still into making.
At present your MY is pretty well covered on forum.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The WIS is good if you want to look up a particular procedure and the tools required. But if you're not in a hurry, if you post here asking for help or search the old threads, you can usually find it. Just handy to have if you're in a hurry and need to look something up without waiting. I also find EPC handy, you get the exact part numbers you need for your particular car. Then you just google those part numbers to find the lowest price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts