Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1997 MB 500SL - 1988 Bentley Mulsane S and a few others
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi beam does not engage. Where might the relay be located as a first place to check (bulbs are fine)?

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Not entirely sure, but most high/low headlight functions happen in the stalk switch. Anybody else with better info ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not entirely sure, but most high/low headlight functions happen in the stalk switch. Anybody else with better info ?
When I hit the stalk switch to change from low to high beam the low goes off the the high does not engage. Hit the switch again and the low engages fine. I had the same problem with another car and it turned out to be the hi-beam relay - a quick and cheap fix. I'm sure a new stalk from MB would be more costly.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
There is no separate relay. The low and high beams are driven from the "Lamp Failure Module" - N7

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 - 1994 SL600
935 Posts
I looked at the schematic this afternoon and mrelbe is correct, the high beams are driven from the "Lamp Failure Module" - N7, however there are two separate inputs, one for each side high beam, and two separate outputs from N7. I would suspect the switch in the turn signal stalk. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Doug

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
947 Posts
More than likely it's the stalk .... you might try a little wd40 in the base of the stalk, that helped me get the momentary brights to engage again .....

If not it's a new stalk and a 10mm hex socket and breaker bar for the steering wheel removal .......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head lamp module

There is no separate relay. The low and high beams are driven from the "Lamp Failure Module" - N7
I did find a replacement unit and I'm awaiting its arrival. In removing the old module should I be aware of any screws, connection tabs or attachment devices? Or 'just pull it out straight up' as is plug and play? It appears from the picture for the replacement unit that there is a tab - perhaps for a set screw. The existing unit has been in there since 1997 - perhaps a shot of WD40 to make it easier to remove? If for some reason its not the module as the problem I don't want to damage the old unit. Many thanks for your help.
RG

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at the schematic this afternoon and mrelbe is correct, the high beams are driven from the "Lamp Failure Module" - N7, however there are two separate inputs, one for each side high beam, and two separate outputs from N7. I would suspect the switch in the turn signal stalk. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.
Doug
Doug -

When I engaged the hi beam (the last time it worked) it engaged very slowly and then went dark. Moved the stalk to the low beam and the lows came on - the hi beams would not re-engage. All other functions of the stalk work fine - no play in movement - just no 'click' to hi beams. I did spray the stalk unit with WD 40 - no effect.

I'll try the module relacement as my next step - I have access to a used one that works for testing purposes. Many thanks for your help.
RG

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,119 Posts
That certainly would be better than WD-40 on electrical stuffs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regarding the Headlamp Control Module (97 SL 500) - does this module also have any effect on the front side marker lights? My module went bad affecting the high beam use - at the same time the front right amber marker light failed to go on. The turn signal works fine - bulb has been replaced - still the same. The bulb holder looks in good shape as well - again the right directional works fine. Right front side marker & directional works fine as well.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Being as the switch worked to some degree for a short while and you also have issues with a non function on your marker light. I think i would maybe start checking for a bad earth wire connection somewhere. Having said that the stalk seems favorite for the headlight problem.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Have you check your fuses ?
Always check your #8 and #9 fuses because it's the easiest and least expensive thing to do. I pulled mine and they looked fine so I reinserted them and viola my High Beams worked again when pushing the stalk forward. Problem was: the High Beams worked when pulling the stalk back into the intermittent position but not when pushing them forward into the full time position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for the suggestions. It was the control module - I found one on E-bay for about $140 - took all of 5 minutes to install - and he said "let there be light".

·
Registered
'95 SL500, '99 ML320, '08 ML550 4MATIC w/Sport & Lighting Pkg, '12 ML350 4MATIC w/P2 Pkg & Pano Roof
961 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions. It was the control module - I found one on E-bay for about $140 - took all of 5 minutes to install - and he said "let there be light".

"And it was good".

Congrats on the fix, Robert, and to mrelbe who diagnosed the problem.

And, thanks for sharing the final outcome.

God Bless, Arctic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts