Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
clk 320
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings from chester uk... my 1999 clk 320 has a harsh 1st to 2nd gear change & sometimes 2nd to 1st in the summer mode.... also i get the feelin that the gearbox dosnt know what to do or hesitates durin the first two gears..... this mainly happens from start up.... cold or warm.. can anyone help....???

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
Sup Stuey? Read the thread I started titled "Transmission Transgression". Juanc is all over that question like a hobo on a ham sandwich

·
Registered
clk 320
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi matey.... ive had a look for your thread but cant seem to find it..... but would like to hear of your vast knowledge about the problem.... my clk has had oil change & is only 34k miles on the clock...... also full merc history...

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
This was the thread.

I've noticed alot of posts similar to this, and wondered if anyone has same prob. Car is garage kept, and it's 70-80 degrees here. When I leave for work in the morning she won't pop out of first gear. After about 20 seconds it's fine, and in the 50 mile drive to work there are no problems. Do I have to put a baby blanket over the hood at night? What gives? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't laugh.....It's paid for

Author Posted 5/9/2005 11:00 AM (#1478425 - in reply to #1478404)

juancpath

BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: CLK 320

RE: Transmission Transgression

This is a tricky one... The clk's computer makes the engine start on 2nd gear after the car has been off for more than 4 hours... Therefore, when you start driving, you will actully be on 2nd gear, and will take about 15-20 seconds to get to third... dont ask me why merc. did this. I tested this by starting my car one morning, and I floored it as soon as i got out of the garage... I definatley felt the car going from 2nd to 1st...

Hope this helps

YAHOO - juancpath

Author Posted 5/9/2005 11:07 AM (#1478428 - in reply to #1478404)

str8ridin

BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: CLK 430

I thought the car only starts in second when you put the rocker switch on "W" for winter mode. "S" or summer mode puts it back so it starts in first.

Author Posted 5/9/2005 11:15 AM (#1478431 - in reply to #1478404)

juancpath

BenzWorld Junior Member

When you have the winter mode on, the car will start on 2nd gear everytime you stop.. it basically shuts down 1st gear. But, whenever the car has been off for more than 4 hours the car will start in 2nd gear no matter if you are on W or S mode.

I would love to know the reasoning behind this... though.

Author Posted 5/9/2005 11:20 AM (#1478433 - in reply to #1478404)

juancpath

BenzWorld Junior Member

I think the timer is actually 6 or 8 hours.. and it also has to do with temperature, barometric pressure, the phase of the moon, that your latitude and longitude is and the blanket you use.. of course. I used a fleese blanket on mine

Author Posted 5/9/2005 11:47 AM (#1478445 - in reply to #1478404)

ThrillKill

BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 99 ML430 99 CLK320

So that screaming whine that I love (old, Codemasters TOCA DTM veteran)is normal? Sounds like I'm gonna jettison a rod through my nice, shiney hood!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Posted 5/9/2005 12:00 PM (#1478462 - in reply to #1478404)

juancpath

BenzWorld Junior Member

about the whine, you can tell people you have supercharger under the hood.... they will believe it.

Author Posted 5/9/2005 4:44 PM (#1478685 - in reply to #1478462)

ThrillKill

BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 99 ML430 99 CLK320

quote:
juancpath - 5/9/2005 12:00 PM

about the whine, you can tell people you have supercharger under the hood.... they will believe it.

Thanks for all the info Juan. If the "whine" gets any louder, I'll tell the people my wife is under the hood. They'll believe that.

·
Registered
clk 320
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mmmmm thanks for that thrill kill.... that was interesting reading.... the only thing i would add is that mine will start off in 2nd.... then jumps into 1st then when the revs get to about 4500.... 5000 it then changes back to 2nd then its normal then till i leave it standing again...... then it may or may not do it the next time..... strange...! [:0]

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are a number of things that can be happening.

Your ECU might be going bad or.. it may be getting arroneous reading from the MAS or the fuel system. You can take it to the dealer and tell them to reset your computer or do it yourself.

Aslo, when is the last time you changed you fuel and air filters? that can have a great inpact on the RPMs. produced, specially your fuel filter.

Anther reason can be that one of your valves is missfiring which can screw up your ECU. check your sparkplugs

Or.. very unlikely, your transmission has had it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
take it to the dealer and tell them to clear all the faults. Although i DO NOT recomend it, you can do it yourself by disconectiong the NEGATIVE side of your battery, wait like 30 secs and re-connect it.. however, thyis will also reset everything, all you electric systems will be off. From your windows to your ABS sytem. I know i have a procedure laying around somewhere.. i will post it once i find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts